Hole Tapping - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Kenny Bahr
94 D90 Alpine White #1245
Hole Tapping

Does anyone have any suggestions on re-tapping the 4 holes in the bottom center of the bumper that bolts to the rear crossmember? I have drilled the holes with a 27/64 drill bit, and have a tap bit and tapper for 12 mm bolts. I just can't seem to get this going. I'm hoping someone has some advice on doing this.

Thank you in advance,

Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
Chris Hinkle
More than I need
I'm assuming that is the right size hole for the 12mm tap - it will say on the side of the tap what size hole is needed. I use oil on the tap and continuously reverse directions of the tap to clear the metal shavings. Try a smaller tap on some 1/4" thick scrap to get the feel for the process.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
Kenny, just to be clear, the size you tap to has to match the hole drilled (and as Chris says, the drill size will be stamped on the side of the tap). If the 12mm tap doesn't call for a 27/64 hole, you need to either

1. get the tap for a 27/64 hole
2. get a tap and drill bit for the next size bigger than 27/64 and drill them out some more.

You choice of tap should also be driven by the size and thread bolts you can buy.

Then to actually tap out the holes, you need to line up the tap as straight as you can and slowly turn it into the hole. As you make progress cutting the thread you need to back the tap out (turn anti-clockwise) and then turn clockwise again repeatedly. This cleans out the thread you just cut and makes it easier to cut more. Use oil to make the process go easier.

Oh, and be sure to wear eye protection since you'll be spending more time on you back directly under the holes with crap falling on you. Music helps. Children "helping" usually don't as you'll have a short fuse at the time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions