Defender Source Forum banner

Hole in my transmission

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Grover 
#1 ·
I was under my Rover today just staring and I saw this. EEEEK! I checked my transmission level and ATF came out as soon as is loosened the torx bolt. Engine oil was fine too. I assume this is cast alluminum so I can't weld it. What fluid should be leaking out if the hole goes all the way through? If nothing is leaking, is this just another job for JB weld? I know the right answer is to find a good welder who can weld cast alluminum, but should I have this joint welded? Am I answering my own post?

R380 Transmission, 65K miles.

Update: Just stuck a wire into the hole and it goes in all the way.

#4 ·
Is that the lower edge of the bellhousing, right behind the engine? And is the black thing at the top of the left photo the engine oil pan?

If so, it's nothing to worry about. There shouldn't be any fluids behind there at all, so nothing would be leaking through that hole either. The position shouldn't have any effect on structural integrity of the bellhousing, and I doubt anything would get up into there unless you are doing some deep water crossings.

If you DO get into deep water and mud often, then JB Weld would be fine here.

-Hans

#6 ·
Neil,

As mentioned in the previous relpy, the slot is designed to allow fluids to drain out of the bell housing. If the rear main seal (of your engine) should happen to leak oil, this opening will allow the oil to pass through, i.e. keeping it from building up and collecting on the clutch plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.