Hmmm, how do I read this? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Devin W
Devin Walton
None

Hmmm, how do I read this?

OK, this may be a dumb question, but the more I stared at it the more I realized that I don't know for sure what the ticks on my newly installed VDO eng temp gauge are telling me. It's labeled at 100, 180, 220, and 250, but the ticks in between are not exactly evenly spaced. No big deal, I think because the gauge may not be linear, but when I compare between each marked temp, I can't apply similar intermediate values.

For example, there are 3 ticks between 100-180: does that mean 120, 140, 160 (20 deg. increments)?
There are 3 ticks between 180 - 220: does that mean 190, 200, 210 (10 deg. increments)?
There is one tick between 220 and 250: Would that be 235?
Or, am I just being too literal?

So basically, how do I read this?

Sorry for the crappy, blurry phone pic, but I think you can see it well enough.

Thanks!
Devin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eng temp sm.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	10158  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Im not trying to hi-jack this thread, but the stock tach has a similar problem(on my truck at least).

Why are there only 3 marks between 0 and 1000 rpm but 4 between all the rest?

Maybe VDO just likes to confuse people, or is the tach thing standard for a lot of cars?
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Devin, I don't know the answer to your question, but I think you made some reasonable inferences.

I imagine contacting VDO would be difficult, and getting a definitive answer might be difficult as well.

One thought, maybe get one of those nifty hand-held IR thermometers with the laser pointer? Start up the truck from cold and let it warm up and check the temp at the sender location as the needle goes through each tick mark, up to operating temperature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I have the same gauge and as long as I am between 180 and two ticks to the right (200) I am happy.

My gauge never settles below 180 it sweeps through as it is warming up and then settles after the thermostat opens up. It runs right about where your gauge is showing in the picture except on these hot 100+ days we have been having in Atlanta. Pulling a hill it will creep up to just below 200 with outside ambient temps over 100, I figure the pavement temp is close to 120 so running at 195-198 is not bad.

It is a lot more info then I used to get from my signal conditioner 110 temp sensor that's for sure.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Devin, I read that as 190 deg F, which also happens to be the temperature at which the OEM thermostat opens.

BTW, since you installed your VDO temp gauge, have you noticed that your other gauges are very dim, much dimmer than they were before the install? Even my clock in the center of the dash is dim. I wonder what I did wrong...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:52 PM
Devin W
Devin Walton
None

Thanks for the responses!

Quote:
I have the same gauge and as long as I am between 180 and two ticks to the right (200) I am happy.

My gauge never settles below 180 it sweeps through as it is warming up and then settles after the thermostat opens up. It runs right about where your gauge is showing in the picture except on these hot 100+ days we have been having in Atlanta. Pulling a hill it will creep up to just below 200 with outside ambient temps over 100, I figure the pavement temp is close to 120 so running at 195-198 is not bad.

It is a lot more info then I used to get from my signal conditioner 110 temp sensor that's for sure.
OK, that tells me that I'm probably making the right assumptions, thanks!

Quote:
Devin, I read that as 190 deg F, which also happens to be the temperature at which the OEM thermostat opens.

BTW, since you installed your VDO temp gauge, have you noticed that your other gauges are very dim, much dimmer than they were before the install? Even my clock in the center of the dash is dim. I wonder what I did wrong...
Chris, I'm running a 180 t-stat now. I need to double check my coolant to see if it's properly burped and then I'll give it a flogging to see where the temperature settles in at.

I noticed that the new guage is much brighter than the others, too, but I just assumed that it was because it is backlit differently than the OE versions. The new gauge shines throught the back and is more luminescent. The OE gauges are actually lit from the top.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
The VDO's really need to be grounded separately. The problem I created for myself caused the temp guage to read hotter and hotter depending on how many electrical accessories were running. Each guage and light really needs to be grounded out separately.
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:17 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Mine is a lot brighter than the others, but the others were dim before. I'll have to test to see if I get that same effect with the temps and electrical load though.

On this topic, shouldn't these be sealed? Mine is only a few months old and I have had moisture build up in it already.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions