Hitch/ pull point install question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 10th, 2004, 03:37 PM
JKM
John Miller
1997 D-90SW Full mods

Hitch/ pull point install question

I have a Roveraccessories drop hitch/ pull point to install. Has anyone gone through the process of dropping the fuel tank down far enough to install the bolts through the rear crossmember? If so can you share your experience??? I am in need of a bit of advise as to the process and amount of time it may take.
97 D90 SW JKM
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2004, 03:59 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
The install time will take the better part of a day. But it really depends on the condition of things like bolts, skid plate, etc. I took the time to sand and paint the rear crossmember as it was pitted.

Make sure you get a backing plate to mount to that on the inside of the crossmember. You can get one from EE. Also make sure your tank is as empty as you can make it. Don't try siphoning, their is a flap in the tank entrance that prevents getting a siphon to the bottom.

The install conceptually is straight forward. Disconnect your rear swaybar. Undo the various bolts for the rear bumper and remove. Stick a jack under the skid plate assembly to support the weight of skid plate and tank. Undo the skid plate bolts. Drop the tank. Make sure you only drop the tank about 6+ inches (the rear wiring harness does not give you much flexibility, neither does the tank fume handler in the passenger side wheel well). In addition, you can push the tank slightly forward to gain access (up to the ball joint assembly). You'll need to place the backing plate and nuts/lock washers/washers on sight unseen. It's not easy, but not impossible. Once done, reverse the order of disassembly.

If you do go with a backing plate. You'll need longer bolts that those supplied with the kit. I don't remember what I used. But get an assortment of lengths. Just return the unused ones. You want to make sure the bolts do not stick out past the rear crossmember. Otherwise they will spear the gas tank.

Have fun!
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:17 PM
JKM
John Miller
1997 D-90SW Full mods

Thanks Dave- all went well.
JKM
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2004, 08:39 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
No sweat John. Glad to be of help. I assume everything turned out okay?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hitch