hinges? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM
97 hard top

my d90 is in the body shop getting sprayed, the guy says he got the doors off the body but cant get the hinges off the body is there a nut on the inside? any tricks to fix this without heat?

Old March 28th, 2010, 03:56 PM
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
Hinges are just bolted to the bulkhead. Likely they have bonded to the surface of the bulkhead via rust, judging from your username.

Old March 28th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Mike Deery
1984 D-90
Hinges are bolted to the bulkhead by way of captive nuts(nuts that sit inside a steel clip that slides onto the bulkhead. Often the nuts sieze up and the clips holding them disintegrate. If you are going to the trouble of removing the doors for a respray, it seems like you are going for a nice job as opposed to an economy painting. That being said, you might want to consider a new set of hinges and mounting nuts/bolts. They are fairly cheap; but don't go for the cheapest ones. I got mine from Safari Rovers when I did a repaint and was very happy with the quality. They have nylon inserts to combat corrosion. Anyway, your body shop can simply drill out the old bolts if he can't get them out. Taking the old hinges out will also give you a chance to spray some waxoyl cavity spray into the bulkhead/vent area and get an idea if corrosion has taken hold in there. I had to drill out one bolt. Good luck.
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
Impact screwdriver and large hammer make short work of stuck bolts screws ...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions