Highway drifting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 9th, 2015, 07:51 PM
RoverNC
James Wortman
1994 D90 #1693

Highway drifting

I have been breaking in my "new" 89 110 with a 40 mile back-and-forth highway commute over the past few weeks. One issue that I would like to dial in is the drifting I get with the tall and skinny tires on the original 5.5 inch wide wheels and what appears to be stock suspension. My 97 90 had no drift and handled quite well on the highway, but I had a 285/75 setup with OME HDs.

Is more substantial highway drift inevitable with the older 110 and will a similar (or even slightly less aggressive) tire setup get me that much more stability on the highway? If so, I would be interested in wheel type / offset (not Boosts) combinations folks have used to attain a bigger footprint without exceeding the fender flares. My old wheels were black steelies that looked great and would enjoy a similar setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The 110 should "track" better than your 90 did. Start with bushings and shocks.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 11th, 2015, 11:16 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
My money is on rear bushings. When worn you get a butt wiggle/rear steer feel.

-Jeff
+1 on this. Mine were fine, but the nylock nut had worked itself loose over the years; the bushings were fine. Check the nylock nut before replacing the bushings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2015, 11:20 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Also the rear a frame ball joint and the panhard bushings and steering in front can cause that issue. The good part is, these are all things that a visual plus a prybar flex test can diagnose.
Old September 11th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I love it when people think poor handling is just a part of the equation with old vehicles. In fact LR should track straight and handle well, even an old series truck. Fix it before you get hurt or hurt someone else.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old September 11th, 2015, 11:54 AM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
I just replaced all of my bushings, (including the A frame, and new A frame u joint), with the Polybush dynnamic (orange) set,. The difference is unbelievable.

I think the best way to describe the feel before the change, would be to compare it to walking around in a pair of shoes 2 sizes too big.

After the new bushings the truck tracks straight, returns to centre after cornering, has a very firm and positive feel, like it knows exactly where it's going. No more "vague" steering, ruts in the road aren't pulling me in every direction, especially on the highway. Just like driving a brand new truck.
Old September 11th, 2015, 01:02 PM
RoverNC
James Wortman
1994 D90 #1693

Very much appreciate all of the comments. To alleviate safety concerns expressed, I had The Shop in Norcross, GA do a full walk through and refresh on any potential safety or mechanical issues that could present a problem a month ago. They were very thorough. I just want to tighten the highway feel as I move to replace the tires, and now (potentially) the bushings. Sounds like a prybar flex test will also be worthwhile.
Old September 11th, 2015, 01:15 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
New springs and shocks worked wonders on mine. Once I added additional weight to the vehicle (cage/bumpers/etc) it was practically undeliverable! May also look modular rear sway bar - I think that x-eng makes one.

Old September 11th, 2015, 01:37 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Swivel ball tension should be one of the first things to check.
Old September 11th, 2015, 01:40 PM
doktorno
Chris deZ.
1995 Defender SW

Registry
RoverNC, driving down the highway at speed, try holding the steering wheel straight and then accelerating. See if it wants to change lanes on you.
Old September 11th, 2015, 02:32 PM
quick968
Mikey
97 Defender 90

This was something I just went through. My steering could be described as "darty", wandering from lane to lane with almost no input. Highway speeds were downright scary. One thing to check that I don't yet see mentioned is your toe setting. It should be 0-2mm toe out, essentially zero toe. Turns out mine had taken a big hit to the tie rod behind the diff that put a big enough bend in the rod to give me 3/4" toe out as measured from the front wheel edges front to back. So check your toe setting as well. Replaced the tie rod and rod ends and set toe to zero, truck is now tracking straight and rock solid steady.

Rgds
Mikey

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions