higher pressure fuel pumps - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 26th, 2009, 10:26 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

higher pressure fuel pumps

Anyone used the higher pressure (than stock) fuel pumps sold on eBay?
They are basically the guts of the pump.
Could that be a problem or better yet an advantage as I have a 4.6 litre motor with cam and headwork and wouldn't mind more power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2009, 11:25 PM
d90dan
Dan Berry
1995 D90

What are you trying to achieve?

The pump could be capable of higher pressure and/or volume, but the overall pressure will be determined by the regulator on the fuel rail. Well unless the pump puts out to much volume and is to much for the return line. But if your running out of fuel volume or pressure dropping when WOT, then a new pump could help.

If the injectors are at 100% duty cycle, then you should get larger injectors. You can also try an adjustable regulator to get more base PSI which can sometimes help drive ability. But if the extra fuel isn't needed the 02 sensors should see the lower a/f and reduce the fueling back to the factory amount.

You could find a dyno service close by that has an o2 monitoring. Usually $50 an hour or so. Then you can see if the truck goes lean at any point and needs more fuel. Then find someone to burn you a chip for your mods and needs.

Wow, I kind of went on longer then I meant to. Anyway this is from my experience tuning stock and stand alone ECU's on other modified vehicles.
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:28 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Thanks Dan, it put my question into perspective so I just ordered a stock fuel pump.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel