high miles - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 6th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Floridadan
Danny Alvarez
01/DII Stock

high miles

Should i be worried when looking at higher milage trucks? 100-150? is there something I should look for or stay away from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2005, 08:11 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

As long as the truck has been maintained I would say no. I have a NAS D90 with over 200k miles on it. It has all original parts. I have put over 20k miles on it this year with little to no problems. But I would make sure that it has good records of the maintenance.

No matter what D90 you buy there are going to be issues that need fixed at some point. Plus with a high mileage truck you can get into the D90 world a little cheaper. There is always someone dumping their motor or entire drive train and migrating to a diesel. And on that note, if you high mileage truck does die it will give you an excellent reason to install a diesel.
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:20 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
since you should pay comparitively less, I personally think high mileage defenders are a good bargain - that way you ensure you're not paying any premium for "cherryness."

Some things might need replacing - like the entire drivetrain, but that can be done for reasonably if you buy right.

Look at the defender like a boat (not a hole in the water you throw money in) where as long as the hull is good, its infinitely rebuildable.

personally, I bought a truck with lots of flaws and negotiated a very low price (i also knew I wanted to rebuild it). if you take a high-miles truck in for a dealer inspection, they'll probably give you a 5 thousand dollar list of "immediate needs" which you can use to your advantage when pinning down the final price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 7th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Floridadan
Danny Alvarez
01/DII Stock

Yep

Good call from the both of you guys....I definitely feel more comfortable..Anyone have clue how much a new engine would cost to have installed for planning puposes?
Old November 7th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

You could check out the eastcoastrover.com site as well as rpiv8.com site. Cams tend to lose some of their profile at around 75k-100k.

Also O2 sensors will pasttheir due date. . .

But at a good price you could be proactive address these issues post purchase.

Well cared for High mileage d's are the way to go. I got a low mileage one and have had to address way to many dried seals from no use. . . .

EwS
Old November 7th, 2005, 11:22 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Also, look at who you're buying it from. If it's a person on this board then they've PROBABLY done the important things to it because they love it and use it (And kept the service records). They also know what a Defender is really worth and won't jack you around about this and that (of course, they'll also look at that $5K list of immediate needs and laugh).

Good luck, welcome to the club.
Old November 7th, 2005, 02:15 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt
(of course, they'll also look at that $5K list of immediate needs and laugh).
Theres lots of defenders that still need to be rescued from their non-enthusiast owners. I dont advocate screwing someone or being dishonest, but some people need to be convinced that the trucks arent gold-plated or intrinsically valuable.
Old November 7th, 2005, 09:36 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

$10,000 will go a long way toward fixing problems from high miles and neglect. A $15,000 truck with $10,000 of fixing-up applied may well serve you better that a lower-mileage model for $25,000.

We do many such repairs at our shop given the high value of these vehicles. Also . . . a high mile truck with a weak engine might give you a chance to get into a diesel affordably. Buy a D90 with a bad motor at 10k, spend the money to convert . . . that could be very attractive.

My own 90 is 2.5 diesel, 30mpg, burns cooking oil.
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Floridadan
Danny Alvarez
01/DII Stock

OK CLearly I am a novice...I am not an experienced tinkerer...Hell I dont even have that many tools...BUT...I am willing to learn and on the bigger stuff, I might even pay....BUT are most of the maintenance issues a big hurdle or something we can learn because the truck is pretty basic?
Jim - I mean I never thought I would even consider a drive train replacement - JimC
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:34 PM
jabber
m j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridadan
OK CLearly I am a novice...I am not an experienced tinkerer...Hell I dont even have that many tools...BUT...I am willing to learn and on the bigger stuff, I might even pay....BUT are most of the maintenance issues a big hurdle or something we can learn because the truck is pretty basic?
Jim - I mean I never thought I would even consider a drive train replacement - JimC
Well danny welcome to the club! This board of enthusiasts will teach you a LOT about the rover that you own. I know I learned A LOT!!!

Ultimately it comes down to how much you're willing to spend and work on it. If you're willing to learn and have the time, buying a fixer upper might be a good thing! Or if you'd like to start with some of the basics... maybe a slightly modified truck, regularly maintained would be the way to go.

Overall, each person mods things differently. At the past couple of rover gathering that I've been to, I haven't seen one D90 that's the same. That's one of the great things about these rigs.

One thing I've learned.... The land rover community is a great thing. For issues that arise, there's always someone willing to help out!
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Floridadan
Danny Alvarez
01/DII Stock

Happy to be heere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber
Well danny welcome to the club! This board of enthusiasts will teach you a LOT about the rover that you own. I know I learned A LOT!!!

One thing I've learned.... The land rover community is a great thing. For issues that arise, there's always someone willing to help out!
Thanks for the welcome man....
This community has already been awesome - and I dont even own one yet...Thanks
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If you want to maximize the experience and joy, make sure you have another back up car and DO NOT rely solely on the D90. There will be times when you won't be able to diagnose a problem in just a day and if you have to take it to a shop or rent another car, you will end up getting frustrated and taking it out on the D90.

You see, the D90 is very much like a sophisticated woman--she won't tell you directly what is wrong with her--she will just leave an unending trail of devastating, painful clues until you figure it out your own damn self! To make matters worse/funnier (depends on humor level), half the time you will spend a fortune only to find out that everything you just bought, you don't need and what you do need you can't find! Get used to it. It is worth it...if you are strong enough...
Old November 9th, 2005, 09:42 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I 2nd that statement. I think trucks with miles are better than those with super low miles. I know a few people including my self that have had issues with low miles. I can tell that when I have been driving my defender daily etc that it runs better smoother etc. Either way it is still going to cost you some money initially to get it sorted out or up to your specification/standards. good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions