high idle only when moving question.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 15th, 2009, 06:38 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
high idle only when moving question..

Hello everyone, I did a search so bear with me please. My truck would idle high, then back down. I cleaned the idle control valve, no luck, so I replaced it, no luck. Checked all the PVC stuff=good. I have the ignition mod relocate kit installed (btw, it looks like there is still one on the side of the distributor as well??)

So for my problem, I noticed the idle will stay high (1300 rpm) as long as the wheels are rolling. When they stop, boom, drops down to 750rpm. Any ideas? I thought of replacing the ignition module... Also, just put new plugs, wires, cap and rotor...

thanks in advance, you guys always have good thoughts,

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2009, 08:17 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
mine does the same thing, been doing it for 30.xxx miles
Old November 15th, 2009, 09:25 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
do you find it as annoying as i do? thought of taking it to the dealer just for diagnostic but don't want to take the time, plus i think they would do a trial and error method of trying to solve it since it is older and not a common vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2009, 09:51 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I find that the more I drive it the better it idles. That module on the dizzy is a "dummy" module, it does not do anything afaik. Just drive the truck maybe clean the throttle body, it seemed to help things a bit on my classic as it was pretty gummed up.
Old November 15th, 2009, 10:27 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
Thanks Phillip! I will give it a try, if it does not work, oh well, I am sure it could use a good cleaning anyway. I do not mind messing and chasing things down, this is my first D90 and it helps me "get to know it better".

Thanks again,

Rick
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:30 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

The 14CUX 3.9 EFI system should raise the idle when you move anyway, it's something to do with stopping the engine from stalling when you're coasting/slowing to a stop.

Mine was terrible for it (ex rangerover V8 into a 90) until i connected up the speedo transducer, that stopped it from doing it, although it would only raise the idle by a hundred RPM or so, nothing as high as 1300.
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:43 AM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
Same thing here been doing it for a while. I have replaced all PCV hoses stepper motor etc..........no luck. Seems like a vacuum leak somewhere............
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:59 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
what do you mean by connected up the speedo transducer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim
The 14CUX 3.9 EFI system should raise the idle when you move anyway, it's something to do with stopping the engine from stalling when you're coasting/slowing to a stop.

Mine was terrible for it (ex rangerover V8 into a 90) until i connected up the speedo transducer, that stopped it from doing it, although it would only raise the idle by a hundred RPM or so, nothing as high as 1300.
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone
what do you mean by connected up the speedo transducer?
on the classic rangerovers with the 3.9 using the 14CUX ECU, if you crawl under the vehicle, look at the transferbox, where the speedo cable comes out of, you'll see about 6" of cable (speedo type cable, not electrical cable) then a small box, about 1.5" square, with a couple of wires coming out.

This tells the ECU that the vehice is either stationary or moving. and it raises the idle slightly to help stop stalling (i remembered too... i think it also comes into play when the A/C compressor kicks in, to raise the idle some more)
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
thanks jamie! so you think mine may have come unplugged or the connection is bad? or do you mean to just disconnect it?

rick
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

LR refers to this as Anti Stall...

Old November 17th, 2009, 03:14 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon
LR refers to this as Anti Stall...

Nah, that's totally different.. Td5 and puma diesels have anti stall, not gas engines.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone
thanks jamie! so you think mine may have come unplugged or the connection is bad? or do you mean to just disconnect it?

rick
If your idle has gone high, really high, i'd suspect maybe a stuck stepper motor or an air leak near the AFM.

If the transducer has come unplugged or got a crappy connection, then i'd expect the idle to be bad or you keep stalling it.

in typical LR fashion... not all engines suffer from it... other folk on some of the LR forums run the 3.9 without the transducer at all, and they idle fine... LR's eh? well, what do you expect from a Lucas ignition system?
Old November 17th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

How recently was the last work done on the truck? The idle does go pretty funky for a while immediately after a battery disconnect, and can take a while until the ECU re-learns the idle speed curve.

Are you showing a check-engine light at all? I'd also check the diagnostic box just to make sure it's not showing a code, sometimes the dash lights burn out.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
it was doing this idle thing a few weeks before i changed the plugs,cap etc.. 3 weeks ago, when it was doing it, i unplugged the battery thinking the ecu would reset and things would be fine. no go, week later put in new stepper valve, now 2 weeks later driving it, no change.
Old November 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Any air leaks anywhere? Bad vacuum hoses, possibly the air pipe between the MAF and the intake plenum is loose?

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
idle, vin