High Idle 2 ... (& random A/C question) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 4th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW
High Idle 2 ... (& random A/C question)

Got a question for you 3.9 v8 lovers...

Every time I start my engine I'm getting a high idle, around 2,000, sometimes slightly higher. I don't run the A/C (next question) and I have new spark plugs, and run Amsoil everywhere. When the truck is warmed up, the idle is perfect. The IACV is clean... The local mechanic (a Jag/BMW/sometimes LR private shop... they suck) can't fix it. It took them 3 times to set the timing.

Any ideas? The initial idle stays high for sometimes a minute, it's getting out of hand.

My 2nd question has to do with A/C. I purchased a brand new A/C unit sometime in 2003/4... never freakin' use it. My wife and I do a lot of kayaking and I need it to work. There's a plug that goes into the engine to measure the temp to allow the A/C compressor to turn on. I have the original parts manual for this, that I actually took each page and put it in plastic... Well, my dumb ass took it out of the binder and now I don't know what that part is called OR the part #. It's a round plug, with 2 metal conductor pieces sticking out.

Anyway, Thanks.

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Tony Sims
1984 110
I'm rusty on LR A/C, but just in general terms, for A/C stuff under the hood, there would be a power feed to the compressor, only one wire, and power/ground to the fans. The on/off cycle of the compressor should be signaled by a pressure switch. these are usually close to the expansion valve, which would be near the evaporator under the dash. Still, the pressure switch could be under the hood in a 90, since there isn't much room under the dash.
[appropriated from Ren Ching] Most faults can usually be traced to the badge on the grill.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions