High Beam Burnout - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 10th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

High Beam Burnout

During check-out on my newly aquired '89 D90 p/u I found that neither headlight had a functioning "Hi Beam". Upon further inspection I found the H4 bulbs "Hi Beams" were burnt out. I purchased and installed new H4 bulbs..."Hi Beam" worked for a couple days but then burnt out again Any thoughts on what would cause them to burn out so quickly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2016, 03:53 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Congrats on the new truck.

Just main beam? One or both? Any other bulbs burning out quickly?

Assuming you took care not to touch the bulbs w/ your fingers, I'd look at vibration first. Once had an issue w/ landing lights lasting ~5 hrs. Drove us crazy trying to find the problem. Turned out to be just a little bit of play in the mount.

Could also be high voltage from the alt, but that should affect more than just the main beams. Worth checking though.
..tolerant Wife...
Old March 10th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Thanks for the congrats and response Wayne. Was very careful not to touch the bulbs...Main beams are both fine...both hi-beams worked fine for a couple days then burnt out...main beams still working fine. No issues w/ other bulbs. I was thinking along the lines of a vibration issue but since the low beam are still working I ruled it out. I'm going to do a bit more head scratching...wondering if a faulty DIP switch could cause the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Strange. Can you verify the low beam is not running at the same time as the high beam. Perhaps there is a fault in the dip switch and leaving them both on and I would guess cause the filament to get too hot.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 10th, 2016, 05:10 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
did the new ones burn out at the same time? did you verify that the filaments are both broken and it isn't an intermittent power supply issue?

here is a crazy long shot, but are the new bulbs from the same package/batch and may have been defective? crazy I know, BUT...I had a single intermittent high beam issue last year and in the course of chasing it found that about half of the bag of fuses I got from one of the popular suppliers were bad. The end caps of the fuses were loose and making intermittent contact. Seriously, how do you ***k up making a glass fuse in 2015? After that episode, I don't discount any potential cause no matter how far fetched...
..tolerant Wife...
Old March 10th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

They could be grounding out some place? Have you checked to see what voltage is at the plug?
Old March 11th, 2016, 07:01 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Had just a few minutes to check things again last night, will pull bulbs this weekend for inspection & confirm voltage. Prior to burn out they were working correctly and yes, both burnt at same time. One odd thing to add to the situation...the hi beam indicator light on the dash has also stopped working. Suppose I'll be tearing into the dash this weekend as well!
Old March 13th, 2016, 10:56 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Are your headlamps on relays?
Old March 13th, 2016, 07:02 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
Cool truck. My guess is that if the highs and the indicator went out at the same time, the issues is not the bulbs themselves (unless you got a bad batch like Wayne suggested). Did you actually test the bulbs to see if they did in fact burn out? Maybe it's the switch. If it's like my '94 D90, they are all on the same circuit and after the switch.

Old March 13th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

When I built my truck, I spec'd a relay for the HL. Three hours into a trip, I discovered that had not happened. Its fixed now and rock solid reliable
Replace the switch (cheap at Rovahfarm), add relay and motor on.
Old March 14th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Thanks for the response guys. Yep, hi beam filliment pooched. I do not believe that the lamps are on a relay...at least not one that I can see. Are we talking about a factory relay? I'm going to try one more sweep checking ground connections then probably start with a new switch.
Old March 14th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

On some of the older trucks there was a voltage transformer/control unit under the right fender. It is hard to see. With out looking at the actual wiring it is hart to tell if it is there or not. Have you changed the dim dip relay?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions