Hi! new NAS D90 owner, have some questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 1st, 2011, 11:35 PM
jeangtd
Gabriel
nas 97 soft top

Hi! new NAS D90 owner, have some questions

I just bought a 97 nas defender, number 2049. it only has 36,000 miles on it. ive been looking for this model for some 10 years, i am in bogota, colombia, and there could be some 2 or 3 aut. 4.0 soft tops here, so im pretty happy and exited. the previous owner had arb lockers fitted, roof and grill offroad lights, the rest seems stock, ohhh and a terrible exhaust manifold job along with deleted cats, so i have to llok for those also.

i started working on the engine and i replaced leaking water pump, stuck thermostat, changed belt, fuel filter, spark plugs, temp. sensor, air filter and the car feels top knotch, i still have some atf fluids that i am going to take care of later on.

started to work o the electrical part and found disasters, nothing serious but man what PITA to return it to stock.

i have two switches on the left side, and correct me if im wrong, one is for aux lights? and one is for diming the dashboard? this guy had the 3 position switch wired to the front aux lights, position 1 all off, two only fronts on and 3 fronts and roll bar lights on. the other swith he used to turn on and off a rear work light. i would love to have them working again like they should but i am having trouble re wiring to how it came from the factroy, so if anyone has a dashboard wiring diagram it would be great. i am attaching some pics of odd things in this area.

the heating isnt working either, the cable that goes to the heater core in the engine bay moves when i move the lever but no heat comes out, also the right lever that should activate the blower isnt working either, i checked and theres no spliced cables, i dont know if because i have a/c the blower only turn on when turning the knob for the a/c.

also my speedo isnt stable it will be shacky when the needle moves, regardless if i am speeding up or down, it just oscilates a lot. same thing with the tachometer, sometimes it is setady, others it will oscilatte eventhough the engine is steady.

i hope a didnt bore you with all of these problems and maybe you can helo me out

one pic is for three cables i cant find a place for, the other is of a cable that is spliced and was rejoind to a red cable in the dashboard, the third is a bulb where that cable leads, as you can see the positive cable for the bulb is white/red and the spliced a red cable in the harness and then joined the white/red to the red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110501-00261.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	38219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110501-00262.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	38220  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110501-00263.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	38221  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:44 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Gabriel,

Welcome!

I have attached the wiring diagrams for the 97 NAS D90. It shows where everything plugs together, and what colors the wires are. If you need help decoding it just shout, we can help you out.

Pages 33-36 should help you out a lot.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 01 - Circuit Diagrams.pdf (1.67 MB, 227 views)
Old May 2nd, 2011, 06:58 AM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

Those three wires have to do with aux. lights. Turn your light switch on . Just messed with this a week or so ago , get a tester and vheck for sure, I can't qiute remeber. One will get power with it on, one will get power when you hit the high beams
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:23 AM
jeangtd
Gabriel
nas 97 soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
Those three wires have to do with aux. lights. Turn your light switch on . Just messed with this a week or so ago , get a tester and vheck for sure, I can't qiute remeber. One will get power with it on, one will get power when you hit the high beams
just found them on the conector details in the rave, they are side lamp feed, main lamp feed and dip lamp feed, altheought they dont seem to be connected to anything in the pictures in the rave, is c407, c408 and c409
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:18 PM
jeangtd
Gabriel
nas 97 soft top

the interior light swith has red and white black cables going in, and they where spliced and on the harnes and joined, so they bypassed the switch. i put it back how its supposed to be and the switch does nothing when i push it. also my instruments are lighing up but no needle is moving??? where should i look for the cuplrit of this?
Old May 2nd, 2011, 04:37 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Pendy told me it was for flux capacitor. Mine was missing too.

I think George at RDS has some in stock.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:46 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeangtd View Post
the heating isnt working either, the cable that goes to the heater core in the engine bay moves when i move the lever but no heat comes out, also the right lever that should activate the blower isnt working either, i checked and theres no spliced cables, i dont know if because i have a/c the blower only turn on when turning the knob for the a/c.

also my speedo isnt stable it will be shacky when the needle moves, regardless if i am speeding up or down, it just oscilates a lot. same thing with the tachometer, sometimes it is setady, others it will oscilatte eventhough the engine is steady.
Welcome to the '97 club. Search for forum for heater problems, but most likely you need to replace the heater core in order to get any heat. Did you mean it wasn't blowing at all, unless you turn on the a/c blower switch? May the heater flap or the blower motor, depending on what you meant.

As for the speedo bounce, you typically need to replace the fuel pump before that goes away. Ignore it unless you have the time and sheer willpower to drop the tank.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:13 PM
jeangtd
Gabriel
nas 97 soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOB View Post
Welcome to the '97 club. Search for forum for heater problems, but most likely you need to replace the heater core in order to get any heat. Did you mean it wasn't blowing at all, unless you turn on the a/c blower switch? May the heater flap or the blower motor, depending on what you meant.

As for the speedo bounce, you typically need to replace the fuel pump before that goes away. Ignore it unless you have the time and sheer willpower to drop the tank.
about the heater i checked the cable from the slector to the conector and its fine, but still no heater blower.

if i need a new heater core, wouldnt the one i have be leaking?

about the speedo, if i replace the fuel pump the shaky speedo goes away?
Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:10 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Put power directly to the motor. If it does not spin, take it out and lube it and it will probably be ok.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:07 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Welcome to the site!

Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:20 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeangtd View Post
if i need a new heater core, wouldnt the one i have be leaking?

about the speedo, if i replace the fuel pump the shaky speedo goes away?
1. Not necessarily, but that probably isn't your problem (I'd follow Ron/Evilfij's advice on the motor)
2. Yep, that is what I am told. I have the same problem and haven't gotten around to swapping in a new pump. But it doesn't bother me - I'm not really concerned about tickets, for example.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, nas