Hi-lift Jacking points - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 6th, 2008, 10:01 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Hi-lift Jacking points

I just received the most recent Overland Journal today and was reading an article about recovery and the use of the Hi-Lift Jack. The guy in the article seems to be jacking the front of a Defender with the jack under the fairlead for a winch. Is that a decent jacking point? Where else can you safely lift a 90 with a Hi-Lift? Side? Rear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Alex
on a 90 there are jacking points in the front dumb irons and rear crossmember, they are holes about 2" diameter to receive an adaptor that fits to the foot of the high lift.

i have seen people lifting off the fairleads / rim of wheels both alloy and steel to slew the vehicle out of holes or ruts but it will bugger the fairlead or wheels eventually, always better to use the correct lifting points, a few moments longer to set up against a possible long time dead.

you can also jack off the side if you have suitable rock sliders with receiver holes for the adaptor or rails for the foot of the high lift, however jacking from the side is hazardous to the bodywork, i have seen a couple of incidents where the top of the high lift rack badly dented the body and shattered side windows.

the high lift is a fantastic tool i have used mine to winch, lift , spread frame rails to remove crossmembers, pull axles and tie bars into line, clamp my work bench to weld split joints and open a party keg.

however i have also very narrowly missed losing my teeth-life when i hit the release lever while the handle was not fully up, the handle banged up and down until the handle flew out of the socket and stuck into a bog 30 meters away, it took me an hour to find it as there was only 12" sticking out of the bog but a hell of a lot longer to shake the feeling the reaper was on his way.
lesson learnt.!! - leave pin in handle and ensure handle is locked up.

regards all

Gren
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:20 AM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Thanks, Gren.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac