Hi - I'm a Wrangler guy who can't get a Defender out of my mind! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 10th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Skobie
Franck Skobieranda

Hi - I'm a Wrangler guy who can't get a Defender out of my mind!

Hi everyone!

I've owned two Wranglers in my last 10 years, most recently a 2003 Rubicon. I sold it for silly reasons so now I plan on getting a trail ready vehicle again. I need to wheel. Another Rubicon is my logical 1st choice, but I can't get Defenders out of my mind.

I keep lurking on LR boards, buying LR magazines, and fantasy shopping for Defenders on the internet. The practical side of me says Jeep - there must be a reason for the lot of them - cheap price, cheap maintenance, cheap and plentiful mods, good brotherhood.

Still, I can't get Defenders out of my mind.

There must be some of you that have either considered a SWB Jeep or owned one. My questions to you are these:

1) What made you choose the Defender?
2) What have you learned about the comparison since you've owned your Defender?

Thanks!
Skobie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2005, 05:34 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobie
This should tell you all you need to know.
Old August 10th, 2005, 05:44 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
i second that. also, the key for me is d90's bring a certain challenge. in the jeep market i suspect 90% of everything being done has been done before. with the defender we're little closer to just figuring it all out for the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2005, 06:03 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

I think that what Clay said is one of the reasons that they are appealing to me. Plus, I'm a vain guy... they just look better to me and I can't get them out of my mind either, lol.
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:09 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
1) What made you choose the Defender?
2) What have you learned about the comparison since you've owned your Defender?
1. just coz.
2. things are much easier on a jeep. and cheaper. personally I think the 40 motor is better too. jeep was more civilized (I didnt get wet when it rained, it was plenty warm in winter etc. even with a softtop). doors come off in <1min (most of that time is spent getting across to the other door). new car smell if you want. not as much concern for rust/corrosion.
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, I had always wanted a Land Rover, ever since when I was a kid and a friend's father always drove us around in a Series IIa he had. When the Defenders hit the US, it was a no brainer.

Now, after spending a lot of time under Jeeps and my Defender I have made the following conclusions.

1. The Defender frame is just massively huge compared to ANY Jeep frame I've ever seen. Same with the brakes. It's just made a lot stronger in almost every regard.

2. Jeeps rust too damned fast.

3. Jeeps have more accessories available, and parts are cheaper and easier to get.

4. Defenders can't change tops like a Jeep can.

5. More power potential in the Defender engine, Better milage potential in the Jeep.

6. Suspensions are fairly equal, but the Wrangler can come with Factory lockers.

I really so no real winner in a comparison, both kick ass and both have their strengths and weaknesses. I like them both so much that I park the D-90 next to the CJ-7.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:12 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

I never considered a Jeep but plenty of my runnin' buddies have them and the first thing I noticed was how much more interior space the 90 had over a SWB Jeep....which was important to me carrying everything around with me (no garage) and a big dog.
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:10 PM
dameek
Dennis Meek
95 D90 #2826 Bought New

Besides my 95 D90 I also have a 95 Wrangler. I love my 90 and my wife loves the Wrangler because it is easier for her to drive. I have ARB's, 4" Warn suspension and other mods in the Wrangler, but the D90 does all what the Wranlger can do and all I have done to the 90 is remove the sway bars, 33" tires, and OEM suspension. I have taken both on the trails here in Washington state that are rated 8 and above and they both do very well.
Parts on my 90 don't wear out as fast as they do on the Jeep. In the end, they both do very well for what they were built for but I love my 90. I bought both new in 95 and the 90 will remain with me till I'm pushing up roses.
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

To accurately answer your questions, we have to know what you mean by "trail ready". If the idea is to buy a truck, put on a 4in lift and 35's like everybody else on the planet, then the Jeep is a much better choice for you. With the rover drivetrain, you have to do major upgrades just to sometimes break with those tires (assuming you wheel semi hard). And even then, you are stuck with the small CV's that no matter what you do, will not be as strong as a set of chromos and CTM's in your front 44.

Buy the Defender if you want something that is truely unique, but you will have to do more to and overcome more hurdles. They are great trucks but pound for pound, a stock one will lose to a stock Rubicon. However, you lock up a stock one and it will kill a stock Rubicon.

I guess this is the bottom line: if you have a wife, get the Jeep. If you want women throwing thier panties at you, get the Defender.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:19 PM
JohnK
John K

I have a friend with a Rubicon Unlimited. It has lockers and 4.11 gears; but, it does not have the clearance of a Defender. The stock suspension components do not seem as heavy duty as the Defender. I saw my friend bend up a radius arm on a Rubi.
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Skobie
Franck Skobieranda

Hi again, everyone. Very thoughtful replies so far - I appreciate the balanced feedback.

The last response made me chuckle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I guess this is the bottom line: if you have a wife, get the Jeep. If you want women throwing thier panties at you, get the Defender.
What about if I have a wife AND I want the panties, too? ;-)
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:34 PM
amasaback
Musgrave

For what is worth we have struggled with this trade off for years. We have gone back and forth between Jeeps and Defenders. When we did not have one we always talked about how much we missed it and when we do have one the always envy the day to day civility and economy of a Wrangler. Recently we just sold my wife's 2002 Wrangler to get her a 97 Defender 90 and she loves it all over again.....though the new LWB Rubicon at the recently disccounted prices have been very tempting recently.

Ultimately it is not a rational purchase and you have to have a sense of humor to own a Defender (really any Land Rover). It is still the only car I have ever bought new that leaked oil the day I brought it home.
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:28 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
If you want women throwing thier panties at you, get the Defender.
lol That is True....
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:42 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
k, I was in your shoes and just got my D90 2 weeks ago (95 #339). I had also kept my 98 wrangler with 3" lift, 33" tires, tera low kit blah blah blah. I just sold my jeep. There is no substitute for my D90. I have always wanted one and I finally have it. It handles much better than my jeep ever did and although I have not off-roaded with it yet, I am sure it will handle there just as well. I have been a jeep guy forever, but always admired the D90's. I guess now I know the secret.

Bill
"Whats that in the driveway? It's a 1995 Defender 90! The car I have always wanted. I rule!"
Old August 11th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Hi again, everyone. Very thoughtful replies so far - I appreciate the balanced feedback.

The last response made me chuckle:

What about if I have a wife AND I want the panties, too? ;-)

Actually,

I just thought of this. THIS is why you buy a Defender. This was a few weeks ago. I do not know this chick, I had never met me her before, and she is most definently NOT my wife. Yet, she jumped in my truck before I even talked to her, and it is not because of my mug..... the power of the D.

btw: These were taken before the panty's hit my window.

edit: I forgot to mention, I kicked her out promtly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	3539   Click image for larger version

Name:	C2.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	3540  

Click image for larger version

Name:	C3.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	3541  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:57 AM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

That cage is freaking bad ass.

But on topic I had a 92 wrangler and a 94 cherokee and now I don't have either of them. I now have rovers and I will never buy another jeep. I replaced the Cherokee in 2000 when I got my first rover new (my D2) and got rid of that pile of crap. Later that year I got my second rover used (the D90) to replaces the other pile of crap that they seem to call a wrangler. Then came along the RR and its a pretty big pile of crap but not as big as the jeeps.

The D90 is way quieter then the wrangler, since the top is on much tighter and keeps the elements out better. The heat and AC work better, there is more room, more clearance, and has a much better ride. In my opinion there is no comparison.

Old August 11th, 2005, 02:18 AM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

I like the balanced feedback...

My reason for going for the D90 ST I have is that damned magazine front cover back in March 2004 with an AA yellow NAS 90 on the front cover...I almost stumbled running to the bathroom for some good reading time and manure donations! That was it...both my brother and I agreed that we needed one...

After living in the Arabian desert for 3 years, Wranglers are heiled as the kings of the dunes, no questions asked and the Rubicon did not help...unfortunately, the Rubicon is not sold here, only a cheap sticker rip off...after going to the LR dealer, I saw the D90 ST and learnt it was a limited edition 2002 TD5...SOLD

I HATE the Defender when it comes to a LOT of stuff, but I LOVE it in every single way possible...and the Wrangler can never enjoy my rear in one of its seats..."its just not me..."...

The frames are beefier, the brakes are better, the axles can be made MUCH stronger, you can fit 33s without a lift, and panties do indeed fly your way...but when you hit the dunes (only the dunes), you will get whipped by a wrangler...on road, it will leak, howl & be windy, but you will have a smile on your face...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old August 11th, 2005, 05:57 AM
prossett
Paolo

Talking

I'm in the dune desert with Disco Dino, and I run a beautiful 93 Wrangler - my pride and joy, but I too feel the Defender attraction: what a great chunk of steel! Never owned one (yet) but here are my impressions:

Solid and heavy - tough as old boots and happy to bounce off any obstacle you throw in its track; Wrangler on the other hand is solid because it is light.

Powerful engine, deep throaty roar and torque to boot; Wrangler on the other hand more lively, and higher strung - but very reliable and easy to maintain.

Good Indiana Jones adventure look - quiet machoism, and underlying self-confidence, unique, non-conformist - beautiful roll cage; Wrangler on the other hand has (everything IMHO of course) a more fun look - drive down the beach with girls standing up in the back, both vehicles rich with tradition. The Wrangler unfortunately also has quite a following of idiots burning doughnuts in parking lots...

Performance-wise, the Defender seems to stop at nothing, except mechanical hiccups which require a fair amount of fiddling and personal involvement; but the Wrangler has awesome power to weight ratio, sure-footed and agile.

As for the panties factor, I think both machines rate highly!

Specifically for sand dunes, Wranglers give that dune-buggy feel, with effortless acceleration and weight that skims along the surface. However, on a longer more serious desert expedition, where covering distance is the game instead of playing surfing on dunes, then the Defender, in the hands of someone who can trail-fix, has the upper hand.

Hmmm... both would be ideal!
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Tezab_42
Terry Bonner

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I keep lurking on LR boards, buying LR magazines, and fantasy shopping for Defenders on the internet. The practical side of me says Jeep - there must be a reason for the lot of them - cheap price, cheap maintenance, cheap and plentiful mods, good brotherhood.

Thanks!
Skobie
in all honesty mate... you need a land rover!
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Rover- Girl

Jeeps are to domesticated... every dude and his brother ownes one !!
I had counted jeeps ( not sheeps ) going to work one day, and it made
me sick just how many of them are out there...
I consider myself a bit more unique and wanted something other than your
Cookie Cutter 4x4 !!!!!!!!!!
Defenders are no nonesence work vehicles... no carpet, no leather seats
no tilt sterring, you may have a working radio in it if your lucky.
Makes you wonder why they the first vehicle of choice in Africas
rugget terrain, doesnt it !!
Get a Defender !
Greetings
Christine

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions