Hi - I'm a Wrangler guy who can't get a Defender out of my mind! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 11th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

70% of all Land Rovers ever sold are still driving around today. What does that tell you?

It tells me that people fall in love with these things and don't want to get rid of them. If they do, there's always a schmuck like me who will buy it and keep it running.

Just get one and find out. There will always be a wrangler to buy somewhere if you don't like the defender, and there will always be somebody to buy the defender.

Just do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2005, 04:00 PM
jabber
m j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover- Girl
no leather seats

Actually, I have leather seats in mine!!! And it came like that from the factory!

But seriously... BUY A DEFENDER. You'll always love it more than you hate it. Just think, then you wouldn't have to lust after one!

cheers,
jabber
Old August 11th, 2005, 04:26 PM
michael15
Mike Schlueter
1995 Red D-90

Skobie:

I have had mine for a year now and still just beam with pride (or is it arrogance - I hope not) about it.

Defenders are the coolest trucks on the road. PERIOD!

I see Jeep owners jaws drop as they drive by. Nuf Said!

It is more expensive (although resale is higher too) but never let money stand in the way of a bad ass 90.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Mike
St. Louis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2005, 04:38 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

I'll add that if finances are a potential issue (it is more expensive to get and more expensive to keep running), or you rely on this thing to get to work everyday, you may want to consider the jeep.
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

The aspect of ownership everyone has touched upon is the unique experience one has in owning a Defender. The rock climbers have pointed out some weaknesses, but outside of these conditions, a Defender is rather durable. Having owned both, the biggest difference I continually feel remains the level to which most parts were designed and built. And not to sound obnoxious, but hardly a day goes by without an appreciative comment or friendly question.

Sure there are some quirks, like engines running hot or having occassional stall issues. But by and large, the pieces used in putting together a Defender are simply larger, heavier, or stronger than those used on a Jeep. Much of this can be attributed to the fact Land Rover sells so many Defenders to the commercial and military markets. Jeeps are made for recreational civilian use. Once the M38A1 went out of production, its civilian counterpart, the CJ-5, was never the same. The Defender will no doubt suffer the same fate if it no longer serves a commercial function.

That said, the new Rubicon Unlimited is a nice truck, and one I'd consider owning myself. But, I'd never buy it as a replacement for the Defender, only as a fun daily driver that doesn't need a week for parts to arrive when in for service. The gas savings alone would cover the first $100 of any monthly note. Life is fun when choosing between a Rubicon and a Defender. I feel for those unfortunate souls struggling between the Expedition and the Suburban because the new carpool group has more kids.
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Skobie
Franck Skobieranda

I'm so glad that I started this thread. It seems that there are some love/hate emotions around owning a Defender. I can feel the love for the durability, out of the box readiness, and unique nature; what do you hate?
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Clowns and illegal immigration.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:27 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Panties getting sucked into my snorkel.
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Strippers over the age of 35
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Beng pulled over for DWI because the my Defender "drifts" back and forth and I didn't even have anything to drink!

Paying $2.60 for 93 octane gas and only getting 13 mpg.

Having to fill the tank every 150 miles because it only holds 15 gallons.

Having to explain to people that Land Rover makes it and no they are not made by Toyota!

Having to put the doors back on in the winter.

Cleaning up the oil stains in the driveway.

Explaining to EVERYONE that no my right backup light isn't out, it just doesn't have one!
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Turning radius of the Titanic.... and just as water tight.

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Turning radius of the Titanic.... and just as water tight.
You need to adjust you steering stops in or get some rims with a better offset because mine turns pretty good!
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:17 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

going to the insurance man and having him search for hours to find a "Defender 90" on his lists then giving up and listing it under "Other." Funniest part is every once in a while while he was looking he would sneak back and scroll through the models of Toyota AGAIN cause he thought he just must have missed it somehow.
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:34 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

leaks like a sieve. hot in summer. cold in winter. wife wont join me on road trips in it.
Mike, no way in hell my defender will ever have the turning radius my TJ had.
Old August 12th, 2005, 02:03 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Gigantic money pit on wheels!!
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old August 12th, 2005, 03:22 PM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

I REALLY hate where the hand brake is and how hot it gets, my right leg is void of any hair and there is a crevass there where it lays on the hand brake lever...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old August 12th, 2005, 09:36 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Actually, the thing I hate most is the lack of good dealer/mechanic support. You really have to learn to fend for yourself (with the help of sites like this one). There are isolated good mechanics around, but you have to search for them and be lucky enough to be close to one. Land Rover makes a great truck (both Series and Defender), arguably the best stock 4x4 available, but they have orphaned us twice here in the states (1974 and 1998). We used to comment on our expeditions that a Jeep will go just about anywhere a Land Rover can go, but just not as many times.
Old August 14th, 2005, 10:23 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewhitaker
Actually, the thing I hate most is the lack of good dealer/mechanic support. You really have to learn to fend for yourself (with the help of sites like this one). There are isolated good mechanics around, but you have to search for them and be lucky enough to be close to one. Land Rover makes a great truck (both Series and Defender), arguably the best stock 4x4 available, but they have orphaned us twice here in the states (1974 and 1998). We used to comment on our expeditions that a Jeep will go just about anywhere a Land Rover can go, but just not as many times.
I got very lucky my city's lr dealer merged into a jaguar dealer and the rover mechanic quit and started his own shop. He is nuts for rovers and a damn good mechanic too he charges about the same rates as the guy who works on my jeep.If you can live without open top wheeling try to find a hard top defender they don't have the heat/ cold problems they don't leak and there is easier rear seat and cargo access. The only real mechanical trouble I have had on my 80,000 mile defender was an ignition cylinder failure which cost me about 500 bucks and one day. Thats it! I should probably knock on wood now.
Old August 14th, 2005, 11:11 PM
loved90
Jay Love

I have owned three jeeps, 89,94,02, and I just bought my first d90 2 weeks ago. Things I have noticed so far are that the d90 is more quiet and the air conditioner kicks a jeeps ass, which is important for a hot sweaty guy in the south. My wife hated all the jeeps, but she throws her panties at the d-90. D-90 rides better also. Jeep advant. is cheap maintenance and lots of add ons. For me, the d90 is just so much cooler, everybody can get a jeep, not everbody can have a d90.
Old August 16th, 2005, 02:53 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobie

I've owned two Wranglers in my last 10 years, most recently a 2003 Rubicon. I sold it for silly reasons so now I plan on getting a trail ready vehicle again. I need to wheel. Another Rubicon is my logical 1st choice, but I can't get Defenders out of my mind.
I, too, am a former Wrangler owner. Tomorrow, I pick up my 1994 D-90 for the first time! Why a D-90? Several reasons:

1) Let's face it, if I wanted a practical vehicle, I'd buy a Honda Accord. The Jeep is not a practical vehicle, either. My old 2001 Wrangler Sport (w/ 4" Pro Comp lift) was slow on the highway, had no storage space, and was a gas hog in its own right. The D-90 is a little faster, has little storage space and is a huge gas hog but has one "practical" advantage over the Jeep option: resale value. When I sold my mostly cherry Jeep, 9 months later with few miles, I took a $7000 hit. The market here in San Antonio is flooded with 2 year old TJs but D-90s are very rare and the price never seems to go down.

2) As I see it, you buy a Land Rover because you truly love Land Rovers and all that goes along with them. You love their uniqueness, their features, their quirks, and you are willing to pay the price to have one. My choice of a Rover is a lot like my choice in computers. I am an Apple user because I love the way their operating system runs, the looks of their sexy aluminum cases and even though I can get a functional PC for thousands of dollars less, I wouldn't trade my Macs for anything. I think that if you feel the same way about a Defender, then this is the vehicle for you.

Best of luck in your purchase!

Chris
Soon-to-be happy new D-90 owner

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions