hey its dark out - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:42 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

hey its dark out

i just bought my d-90 this summer and it is finally dark enough out during driving hours that i have noticed how anemic my dashboard lights and headlights are. i can just barely see the speedometer or fuel gauge. the headlights are barely adequate at about 35 mph but i wouldnt want to rely on them at any higher speed. i have four hella lamps on the safari rack so the bright lights can probably be seen by the space shuttle. i do have a brush guard up front with a winch. is this another defender quirk to get used to or is there something amiss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Yup, the stock gauge lights are rather dim. Several D90 owners install VDO gauges that offer more illumination. Check this out...

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...8&postcount=21

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

The Heavy Duty ARB headlight wiring made a huge difference for me. Took me about 30 minutes to install.

The headlights were significantly brighter afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

Dash lights

Your rocker switch for the dash is either stuck on low or broken like mine was replaced mine and they are plenty bright.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

The Speedometer has a light for night? Actually mine fell sideways years ago - and now lights the tray. I need to get to that one of these days...........

Flagg
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
minorthreat
Lance
1997 LE, 1997 Black ST

Flip the switch on your dash that makes your lights brighter.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:32 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Also you can by an auxilliary wiring harness off of Ebay - search wiring harness h-4. They run about 28-30 bucks and boy do they make a difference on both h4s or sealed beams. I used these on my Volvo 240 turbos back in the day when I was running Euro lights and had one lying around. Run a hot wire off the starter to the power on the harness. Plug your switch for your lights into the harness and then plug the 2 3 prong harness plugs either onto your normal sealed beam lights or h-4s if you choose. This way you are only pulling enough current through you light switch to turn on the relays. This will also take a load off of your cluster lights. Your lights will get more juice directly from the battery. I think this is similar to the ARB wiring harness Gore was talking about but I am not sure how much that one runs. In addition, the tach has a little green condom on it, which I took off when I had the cluster out. Much brighter tachometer. I can walk you through the wiring - simple.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:13 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

thanks for all the suggestions. my rocker switch alternates between extremely dim and very dim. the wiring harness suggestions from gore ranger and cdewan sound much more promising. i think i will give that a try. its a long dark winter up here and if i can only drive during daylight hours then the truck will be sitting until spring.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

EVen with the dimmer switch turned up to the max, my dash lights on my old 1994 were pretty dim.

The headlights should be brighter with the upgraded wiring harness. You can also upgrade to the e code H4s and put in higher wattage bulbs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions