Hey Buckon37's - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:16 PM
m.olivares
marc olivares

Hey Buckon37's

i'm messin' around w/ some Fox airshocks and i remembered you posting some photos of your coilover setup that looked pretty clean... any chance you can post up a few of those shots again?

also what size coilovers where you running?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey,

Like I need an excuse to post pics! Here are a few I just snapped. Yousef has some mounted in the rear if that interests you also. I mounted 14in Fox. The last one is just the top off. Thought I would throw it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010051.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	3093   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010052.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	3094  

Name:	P1010053.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	3095   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010056.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	3096  

Name:	P1010055.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	3097  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:35 PM
m.olivares
marc olivares

AWESOME...thanks man

you mount the lower tabs on the top of both axles?
so you have 14" front and rear?

maybe we can get yousef to post up a few too...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:54 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I did not run coilovers in the rear. In the back, in order to mount coilovers properly you have to either have a lot of lift, around 8in I guestimate, or you have to cut holes in the floor. If you tip the coilover back or front enough to run a coilover with 3-4in lift, it is at too much of an angle and the suspension will unload too easily and generally perform like crap. At the time, I did not want to cut holes, now, if I move the axle back, I will cut holes and run coilovers or airshocks. The front are mounted over the axle in centerline. I mounted them way out on the knuckle so the force of any impact is distibuted as far away from the center as possible. This along with a big truss lets me safely jump the truck pretty well. I have been at about 2-3 feet off the ground, lands like butter. Here is a pic of the mount, you can see the start of the truss on the left side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010058.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	3098  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:39 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Dave is right. When I installed the coil overs in the back I went with North Texas Rovers mounts and my truck was simply unbalanced and it sucked off road. My front end no longer flex with 3-link and low rate springs. All the travel was in the back, and off course those mounts only lasted one off road trip Keith at Rover Tracks built me a new mounts where the shock now sits more up right and believe it or not my front flexes very close to the rear. I almost have even flex. Soon I will design and build my own front and rear coil over mounts where I'll have the rear sit almost vertical but I do have to cut the upper spring mounts. As for unloading that's very common with coil overs with 3 or 4 link suspension, and I advice you to run one limiting strap on the center of the axle with 4" of slack to keep it from unloading on steep climbs and descents, unless someone really knows what they are doing to stop it from unloading but I canít see how! Sorry I don't have pic.s since my friend borrowed my camera and didn't return it yet. I thing there is a picture of the rear coil over mount on rover tracks website. I'll take some detailed ones soon.
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:59 PM
tbmcneill

here's Yousef's old mounts .... an example of how NOT to do it!!!

Follow-up Post:

& one more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Coilovers 003.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	3110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coilovers 002.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	3111  

Name:	Coilovers 001.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	3112  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions