Hesitation/stalling on throttle let-off (200tdi) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:39 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Hesitation/stalling on throttle let-off (200tdi)

Well, thanks everyone for the help on the fuel tank. After a week of de-rusting in phosphoric acid, rattling with bits of chain, separating the skid from the tank itself (thanks DB), powerwashing and power-sanding off all the factory adhesive and rust between the skid and the fuel tank (thanks Jeff), discovering pinholes all over the bottom, filling the entire bottom of the tank with a generous coating of epoxy, drilling drain holes in the skid, cold-galving and repainting everything, and riveting the skid to the tank...well...it's done and the truck runs great.

The latest issue though is hesitation when I let off the throttle.

Idle was around 900rpm when I first start the truck. No problems. When I traveled at highway speeds and come to a stop, the engine's idle dropped to 500-700, and sounded like it was about to stall out. Often it did stall out. I had to press the accelerator gently to keep the revs up.

I gently adjusted the idle screw out on the injection pump and now the idle is around 950rpm. That seemed to solve the stall-out problem.

Was that the right fix for the problem? Or am I tempting fate by adjusting the idle screw, and should I have adjusted something else instead? Is this a sign that I should run cleaner through my system, clean or replace the injectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2012, 03:32 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Run injector cleaner through the system as a first step.
Make sure there's no air leak on the fuel lines.
Check the vent on the fuel cap isn't blocked.
Make sure the lift pump is good.
Check the easy / cheap things first.
With the muck in the fuel tank problem it might be worth getting the injectors checked as the next / more expensive step.
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:03 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Thanks for the response, Mike - and your continued help!

I'll run a few liters of Lubrimoly Diesel Purge through the engine and check on the fuel lines for leaks. Fuel cap vent works for sure as I tested it last week.

I've noticed that I've been getting a little diesel in the oil...LR forums seem to point to a leak in the lift pump diaphragm...does that sound like a possibility?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Is it possible there a bunch of junk in the filter now and check the throttle cable and return stop on the IP.
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:08 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
I put the lift pump from my 110 on prior to shipping it out to you. If there's diesel in the sump it can only get there via the lift pump leaking. Change that out first.
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:10 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
good stuff....i'll get one on order, thanks Mike.
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:12 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Is it possible there a bunch of junk in the filter now and check the throttle cable and return stop on the IP.
I meant to say check/change out the main fuel filter too.
A blocked main fuel filter will limit top end power much more than tick over speed.
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:16 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
good stuff....i'll get one on order, thanks Mike.
Ed:

Where are you ordering the lift pump from? I've been toying with changing mine out as well.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 21st, 2012, 04:48 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Hey Jason, I am thinking either Rovers Down South (STC1190 - $75) for the genuine article or British Pacific (ETC7869 - $23.50) for the allmakes version. I don't think the Allmakes is too bad honestly.

I think the 300tdi has a slightly different pump from the 2.5TD / 200TDI but I could be mistaken.

I need new shift knobs for the LT77/LT230 so I'll probably end up getting those too.
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:00 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Hey Jason, I am thinking either Rovers Down South (STC1190 - $75) for the genuine article or British Pacific (ETC7869 - $23.50) for the allmakes version. I don't think the Allmakes is too bad honestly.

I think the 300tdi has a slightly different pump from the 2.5TD / 200TDI but I could be mistaken.

I need new shift knobs for the LT77/LT230 so I'll probably end up getting those too.
I'd go RDS...George is a good egg. I'll probably order mine up later this week from him.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi