Hesitation 88 RRC, Bad TPS? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 30th, 2009, 06:58 PM
scoot_mcgrute
Scott S
1988 RRC Truck Cab

Hesitation 88 RRC, Bad TPS?

Picked up the rig a few weeks ago and it's had a hesitation under full throttle starting around 2500 rpms or so. The vacuum advance was not hooked up correctly (delay valve was backwards) and it needed a stepper motor so I fixed those things. Since then, the idle has been ok most of the time, but has dropped occasionally to around 150-200 rpms with a rough idle. I changed the vacuum advance today and it helped for a little bit but was back to it's old habits again.

I pulled the TPS of and hooked it up to my multimeter and recorded the results. Now, I'm guessing by the jump that I need a new TPS, but what do you guys think?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...t=MOV03199.flv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2009, 11:24 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
well two problems

1. tough to make sense of the video without seeing the throttle move also
2. i think your meter settings are wrong or your connections were bad (or the meter battery is bad? seen that make them act funny before too) but theres no way you are getting more than battery voltage at the tps.
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:47 PM
scoot_mcgrute
Scott S
1988 RRC Truck Cab

That's resistance, not voltage. It's moving from no throttle to full throttle starting at 00.3 ohms and spiking up near 110 ohms before settling back down to around 13 ohms or so. Shouldn't it stay at a constant increasing rate all the way instead of spiking like that?

On another note went for a drive with a stop in between and it ran with hesitation before the stop and ran like a top after. I'll see what it's doing tomorrow again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions