Hesitation - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:38 AM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Hesitation

While driving home last night the truck started to hesitate and felt very sluggish when trying to accelerate. The truck was fine, then all of a sudden it started after I slowed for a light and left turn. Really weird. Anyone experience this before or have insight into the possible problem? Thanks.

Ohh yeah, I lost my start up jingles a few months ago too. That is probably a fuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:47 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL start up jingles, I haven't heard those in over a year. Has the ECU thrown any codes? did you just fill up on gas at all? Change the fuel filter in the last couple years? We need more details man!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:02 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider

Registry
Don't think the ECU has thrown any codes? No check engine light, etc, as of right now. Everything has been aokay up until about 9 blocks from my house. That's when this hesitation/engine sputtering thing started. The tank is 1/2 full right now. Filled up a few weeks ago. Might have condensation in gas. A lot of rain down here in Virginia this summer. (MAR will be super muddy!) Don't think the fuel filter, etc. has been changed in years. I have only had the truck for 1.5 years and I know I haven't touched the fuel filter, etc. Also hear buzzing noise from fuel pump in rear. That normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:08 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

How loud is the pump, you should be able to hear it when you turn the key to on but once the engine starts I don't think you should be able to hear it (not because it switches off but because it is very quiet), I can barely hear mine with the engine off. A lot of the time when your fuel pump goes it starts screaming, but I would check the cheap things first like the fuel filter and put some dry gas (I think thatís what they call it) in the gas to get rid of any water in the tank (just make sure it works with fuel injectors). You may just want to drive it for a while and then try a fresh tank of gas.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:16 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider

Registry
Its a slight humming/buzzing sound. You can hear it over the exhaust though. I'll try filling it up with some new gas and dump some STP fuel injector cleaner in there and see if that works. I hope that's all it is!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:56 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

you may want to look at your ignition. cap & rotor [condensation], check wires esp at the coil,make sure they are on all the way.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:54 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider

Registry
Well, when I got home from work I took it for a "test" drive and it drove fine. Really weird. Maybe it was moisture. Plan to do the 60,000 mile maintenance soon. Hopefully that will solve any issue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions