Hesitating while shifting/accelerating - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 9th, 2016, 10:09 AM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Hesitating while shifting/accelerating

I have a 200Tdi with an LT77.

I haven't driven the truck much but probably 200 miles or so since I got it the beginning of July.

The diesel shutoff solenoid wasn't working and I was not a fan of stalling the truck to get it to turn off. Aside from that issue the truck drove fine aside from me missing a gear here and there as I haven't driven a manual in quite a while.

I replaced the solenoid and the next day decided to take it for the weekend which was about a 2 hour drive. While on the way to work in the morning the truck hesitated or lost power accelerating from a stop light. Only happened once. That afternoon the same thing occurred but much more often. Got on the highway and it almost felt as though the truck was going to stall. I abandoned the trip and drop home to get my Sport. In hindsight I got to the shore in great time but I had originally planned on leaving the truck down there for the rest of the summer.

But now I am stumped. I would say that there are typical leaks under the truck. Engine oil, gearbox and power steering but other than that no big leaks. My oldest (10yr old) just wanted to sit under the truck and check everything out. We wiped down the various areas in hopes of finding something as I let it sit for a day.

What should I look for? Could it be that the new solenoid is closing when it isn't supposed to? Low transmission fluid?

BTW, since my engine was swapped from a 2.5 to a 200Tdi the solenoid is controlled by the rear wiper arm switch. The key doesn't turn the engine off.

On a side note how much PS Fluid is there supposed to be? Metal canister has no markings. And the master cylinder cap is really hard to get off. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the wordiness.

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2016, 10:25 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

I bet five rupees and a boston creme on a fuel blockage.

Check your in-tank fuel filter.

PS fluid - just fill that sucker up.
Old August 9th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Test for good fuel flow to the injection pipe. Disconnect solenoid wire. Disconnect line into injection pump and stick in bucket. Crank engine. There should be a good flow of fuel. If not, find reason.

Is the correct fuel filter being used?

Fix your wiring. The 2.5NA ignition wiring should work properly, unless you meant 2.5P, then you need to change the ignition switch.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2016, 08:28 AM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Test for good fuel flow to the injection pipe. Disconnect solenoid wire. Disconnect line into injection pump and stick in bucket. Crank engine. There should be a good flow of fuel. If not, find reason.

Is the correct fuel filter being used?

Fix your wiring. The 2.5NA ignition wiring should work properly, unless you meant 2.5P, then you need to change the ignition switch.
The fuel stop solenoid? Sorry it is has been a while since I have been this hands on with a vehicle.

I didn't get time to tackle the suggestions yet but hopeful to tackle tonight.

I did have another two thoughts:

1. diesel fuel additive. I do not believe I put any in and have only filled up twice since owning it.

2. since changing the fuel stop solenoid would enough air be in the system that I need to prime it? I would imagine pulling the line into the injector pump would also help with that.

Old August 10th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes the fuel stop solenoid.

If the fuel system has been installed correctly (as per stock 200TDI), it self bleeds. As it is a conversion, it is always possible it was not converted properly.

Old August 16th, 2016, 12:07 PM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
A little update. I pulled the fuel line into the injection pump and started it up. Fuel flowed good. How long should I let the truck run for. I probably got 10 to 20oz as the soda bottle I was filling up fell and the fuel went all of the garage floor before I shut the truck off.

I took the truck out for about a 5 mile drive. Truck still hesitates. Mostly at the top end of 2nd and 3rd gear.

Last week the truck stalled after I got a full tank of Diesel and diesel additive. It stalled and wouldn't start again until I let the truck sit for about an 1-1/2 hrs and a tow. Could it be the ULSD and I just need to the the fuel work through the system?

Aside from the complete stall and tow do I just need better practice at shifting gears?

Old August 16th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not seeing it mentioned.
Have you installed a fresh fuel filter ?

What you describe under load sounds like either fuel starvation due to filter not flowing enough or an air leak.

My .02 Change the fuel filter, if that doesn't fix it, consider adding a $55 mr gasket electric pusher pump back by the tank. The pusher will illuminate any air leaks and greatly aids in bleeding the system for future servicing.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 16th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
As discussed earlier. Since it is a conversion it would be good to ensure that the conversion was done properly. Many times the fuel system is not setup properly.

Old August 17th, 2016, 01:42 PM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Thanks for the suggestions all.

I "think" the fuel system is correct but I did notice something that might not be correct. But then again I am a novice but egger to learn.

Is the RTC6079 type fuel filter the correct setup? I noticed in some manuals that a different fuel filter assembly is used. The RTC6079 is what I have but the manuals for the 2.5 engine that the truck had before used that same filter setup. The manuals, online, etc. for the 200Tdi reference at different setup.

Are you guys able to tell from a picture what I have if it is wrong?

Thanks

Old September 29th, 2016, 02:59 PM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Got my truck back this morning and it is driving much better.

Turns out the turbo was shot.

Had a new turbo, lift pump and filter installed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac