Defender Source Forum banner

Hesitating while shifting/accelerating

Tags
ac
975 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  FlyersFan76 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 200Tdi with an LT77.

I haven't driven the truck much but probably 200 miles or so since I got it the beginning of July.

The diesel shutoff solenoid wasn't working and I was not a fan of stalling the truck to get it to turn off. Aside from that issue the truck drove fine aside from me missing a gear here and there as I haven't driven a manual in quite a while.

I replaced the solenoid and the next day decided to take it for the weekend which was about a 2 hour drive. While on the way to work in the morning the truck hesitated or lost power accelerating from a stop light. Only happened once. That afternoon the same thing occurred but much more often. Got on the highway and it almost felt as though the truck was going to stall. I abandoned the trip and drop home to get my Sport. In hindsight I got to the shore in great time but I had originally planned on leaving the truck down there for the rest of the summer.

But now I am stumped. I would say that there are typical leaks under the truck. Engine oil, gearbox and power steering but other than that no big leaks. My oldest (10yr old) just wanted to sit under the truck and check everything out. We wiped down the various areas in hopes of finding something as I let it sit for a day.

What should I look for? Could it be that the new solenoid is closing when it isn't supposed to? Low transmission fluid?

BTW, since my engine was swapped from a 2.5 to a 200Tdi the solenoid is controlled by the rear wiper arm switch. The key doesn't turn the engine off.

On a side note how much PS Fluid is there supposed to be? Metal canister has no markings. And the master cylinder cap is really hard to get off. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the wordiness.

See less See more
#3 ·
Test for good fuel flow to the injection pipe. Disconnect solenoid wire. Disconnect line into injection pump and stick in bucket. Crank engine. There should be a good flow of fuel. If not, find reason.

Is the correct fuel filter being used?

Fix your wiring. The 2.5NA ignition wiring should work properly, unless you meant 2.5P, then you need to change the ignition switch.

#4 ·
The fuel stop solenoid? Sorry it is has been a while since I have been this hands on with a vehicle.

I didn't get time to tackle the suggestions yet but hopeful to tackle tonight.

I did have another two thoughts:

1. diesel fuel additive. I do not believe I put any in and have only filled up twice since owning it.

2. since changing the fuel stop solenoid would enough air be in the system that I need to prime it? I would imagine pulling the line into the injector pump would also help with that.

#5 · (Edited)
Yes the fuel stop solenoid.

If the fuel system has been installed correctly (as per stock 200TDI), it self bleeds. As it is a conversion, it is always possible it was not converted properly.

#6 · (Edited)
A little update. I pulled the fuel line into the injection pump and started it up. Fuel flowed good. How long should I let the truck run for. I probably got 10 to 20oz as the soda bottle I was filling up fell and the fuel went all of the garage floor before I shut the truck off.

I took the truck out for about a 5 mile drive. Truck still hesitates. Mostly at the top end of 2nd and 3rd gear.

Last week the truck stalled after I got a full tank of Diesel and diesel additive. It stalled and wouldn't start again until I let the truck sit for about an 1-1/2 hrs and a tow. Could it be the ULSD and I just need to the the fuel work through the system?

Aside from the complete stall and tow do I just need better practice at shifting gears? :)

#7 ·
Not seeing it mentioned.
Have you installed a fresh fuel filter ?

What you describe under load sounds like either fuel starvation due to filter not flowing enough or an air leak.

My .02 Change the fuel filter, if that doesn't fix it, consider adding a $55 mr gasket electric pusher pump back by the tank. The pusher will illuminate any air leaks and greatly aids in bleeding the system for future servicing.

#8 ·
As discussed earlier. Since it is a conversion it would be good to ensure that the conversion was done properly. Many times the fuel system is not setup properly.

#9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions all.

I "think" the fuel system is correct but I did notice something that might not be correct. But then again I am a novice but egger to learn.

Is the RTC6079 type fuel filter the correct setup? I noticed in some manuals that a different fuel filter assembly is used. The RTC6079 is what I have but the manuals for the 2.5 engine that the truck had before used that same filter setup. The manuals, online, etc. for the 200Tdi reference at different setup.

Are you guys able to tell from a picture what I have if it is wrong?

Thanks

#10 ·
Got my truck back this morning and it is driving much better.

Turns out the turbo was shot.

Had a new turbo, lift pump and filter installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.