Heresy? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 27th, 2009, 11:03 AM
humbert
Rick Cooper
None

Heresy?

Hi there. I'm new to the forum and am just getting acquainted with the Defender world. Having driven several, I was wondering if anyone here has modified their D90 so that it's a less trucky, more comfy ride, with more "upscale" amenities, etc. for in-town and highway driving. I figure that this question may lead to much derision, but I do have my reasons for asking. Obviously I'm not in this for lots of off-road driving, but I do love many of the aspects of this truck and wanted to see if this could be done, or if anyone has done it.

Thanks for your opinions and advice....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
If you are really serious about this I'd contact ECR, they seem to be able to cater to updating defenders and adding amenities that weren't originally fitted.

Given the basic design of the truck I'd say you are never going to get a Range Rover level of comfort though.
Old December 27th, 2009, 11:26 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Although RR air suspension couldn't be impossible though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

You could do the easy things with decent results.

Start off with a SW:

1. Install dynamat through out it
2. Put on a set of street tires
3. Install a better stereo system with GPS and Sat radio and good speakers
4. Install more comfortable seats, for long drives.

Then keep the 90 in the garage and buy a RR.

Old December 27th, 2009, 11:57 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A Defender is not for you. Its a truck made to go off road and drive over things other then a shopping bag in the mall parking lot..
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

My D110 has an AirRide system and is good on and off road
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

A Mercedes G500 has all of the things you are looking for, it is still boxy like the 90, but has a reasonably refined interior and is very comfortable tooling around.

Old December 27th, 2009, 08:19 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce
Given the basic design of the truck I'd say you are never going to get a Range Rover level of comfort though.
The basic design of the truck, suspension wise, is the same as a Range Rover of similar vintage barring the air bags which in the older range rovers really did not offer an improved ride quality, but a choice of ride heights. The other amenities are similar.....they still leak plenty of water.....the steel bits still rust........any added electronics more than likely don't function as well as they should and the AC doesn't work very well.
The Range Rover does have nice seats though.....if you can get them stopped in a comfortable position before those electics crap out on you. All said I'd have to say that the "comfort" level is pretty similar.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:37 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbert
Hi there. I'm new to the forum and am just getting acquainted with the Defender world. Having driven several, I was wondering if anyone here has modified their D90 so that it's a less trucky, more comfy ride, with more "upscale" amenities, etc. for in-town and highway driving. I figure that this question may lead to much derision, but I do have my reasons for asking. Obviously I'm not in this for lots of off-road driving, but I do love many of the aspects of this truck and wanted to see if this could be done, or if anyone has done it.

My younger cousin is about to do the same thing. It makes me want to puke just a little bit. He will drive 3 hours to Land Rover before I fix it. Go ahead and kick us all in the nuts while you are making it less "trucky"
Are you gay?
And I love you too
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:41 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

See Bellargio, they pimp out Defenders for rich soccer players in the UK. They are really horrible, might be right up your alley.
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:47 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

You could try a 110. The longer wheelbase may help a bit.
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM
humbert
Rick Cooper
None

To the guys that offered helpful advice: thank you very much.
To the ones that offered advice that was less than friendly: I was merely asking for a bit of advice. Sorry to have burdened you with my "gay", "horrible", post. Get over the anger.
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:02 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

No problem. I am sorry. I was rude. Just post pictures when you are finished with your project. There is a special thread for pictures like that on this site. Good luck to you and enjoy your new ride and modifications.
And I love you too
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Don't be so sensitive, you might like Bellargio.

Seriously, their stuff is over the top but they do have some decent interior ideas if they didn't do it in red leather and the exteriors in chrome.

Follow-up Post:

This, ok... http://www.racecar.co.uk/bellargio/m.../picture01.htm

This, not so much... http://www.racecar.co.uk/bellargio/g...0pro298/10.htm
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:17 PM
humbert
Rick Cooper
None

You may have mistakenly assumed that I want to do a complete pimp-out. All I think I really want, by way of example, is some good a/c, comfortable seats, upgraded suspension (not even sure what that entails) and GPS. I have a lousy back, two young kids, and, horror of horrors, I may end up driving to a mall every once in a while.
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:24 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:

Around us, it handles great on the backroads (the windy ones), It's not much of a highway vehicle unless you soundproof. Just buy one and dynamat it and the stock seats are very comfortable, i could sit in them all day. And Defender and luxury dont mix. It was a breeze to drive through wesport in too, that town is nice, its a comfortable ride, it sounds like your the guy that would want an auto so a 97 is the year for you.
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:33 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
You may have mistakenly assumed that I want to do a complete pimp-out. All I think I really want, by way of example, is some good a/c, comfortable seats, upgraded suspension (not even sure what that entails) and GPS. I have a lousy back, two young kids, and, horror of horrors, I may end up driving to a mall every once in a while.
The a/c works really well in my opinion from the factory. It is a 97 unit though and I don't know about the other units. Comfortable seats can be had, but you would need to rig up some kind of disconect for them as the battery is under there. I don't find the stock seats to be a problem at all. Almost all of us have some form of upgraded suspension. I am not sure that anyone did it to be more comfortable. Some setups probably improved the ride to some extent. This is a mini tank in the shape of a brick that drives. You can put GPS in anything. Everyone has to admit that they have been to the mall at some time or another.

The Defender is a noisy, quirky, weird, backwards, utilitarian, ..........kick ass piece of machinery. It should be altered. Just not far from it's path.
And I love you too
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I still think Rick's interior was one of the best I've seen as it wasn't overdone, the colors were plain, and it all matched (i.e. he had the rear seat and tuffy box arm rest reupholstered to match the front seats).

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=22359

Heads up displays would probably mean either going with an Iron Goat for the center of your dash (very versatile)

http://ig4x4.com/usrimage/cat7.jpg

or the upgraded Defender dash from 2005 which I also think looks very nice. Here's Randy's:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...achmentid=3927
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...&page=11&pp=20
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM
JPBrown
James Brown
91 & 2000-110 -93 130 wagon, 88 d90

I just put in a dash from MUD-UK and was very pleased with it. Works perfect for GPS etc..Get it at
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/muduk/
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:14 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Some say billstein shocks provide the best on road performance.
Stick with street 265 tires and stock springs.
Get heated seats as the heater isn't the greatest.
Hard top leaks less than soft top (or get a badger soft top)
Auto less jerky than stick.
Earplugs help for long rides
People are trying to give you solid advice. Defenders are not for everyone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions