Heresy? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 28th, 2009, 12:37 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattarm
You could try a 110. The longer wheelbase may help a bit.
I agree with Matt you will probably be more comfortable in a 110. My 110 had an auto and power windows etc and felt rather refined compared to my 90.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM
humbert
Rick Cooper
None

Thanks for the links and info--that's sort of what I was looking for. Nothing that extravagant, if you ask me....
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:52 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbert
You may have mistakenly assumed that I want to do a complete pimp-out. All I think I really want, by way of example, is some good a/c, comfortable seats, upgraded suspension (not even sure what that entails) and GPS. I have a lousy back, two young kids, and, horror of horrors, I may end up driving to a mall every once in a while.
I would be happy to have the cream colored leather interior in the first pic I posted. I don't see that as a bling out. In fact my 03 HSE has cream leather and cherry dash and it is beautiful. Not the best for mud but I don't wheel it.

Electric windows, heated seats, nav, a decent stereo, these are not bling in my book. I think you are missing my point a bit. But with Bellargio, they don't know where to stop. As I said before, they have some good ideas and then they have some not so good ideas.

I did not make any value judgement about what you are doing, I did say that Bellargio makes some horrible stuff which is true. In the realm of interior upgrades for defenders there are not that many examples other than aftermarket pimpers and what the factory is doing.

Had I said go to bellargio everything they make is AWESOME, then you would think me a racer boy fool.

Stick around and get to know everybody before you get butt sore about snide comments.
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2009, 09:41 AM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
I agree about the stock seats being very comfy. Long road trips with it are great. I've done a couple 1000 milers (and planning another) with 12 hours/day behind the wheel without a problem. 'Course having the door tops off the whole time made it even better!

Old December 28th, 2009, 10:01 AM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Honestly, I have owned a tremendous D-90 and probably one of the nicer 110's out there (IMHO), but I am now back in a Range Rover classic (see avatar). I have two small children and we do a good bit of traveling.

The Classic is a 1989 and had almost completely been gone through now. It has all the creature comforts you could want, all the ability of a 110 or 90 (even more some would say ... as the late 80's classics were the preferred truck by the Camel Trophy crowd. (nimble and agile off-road)

And let's see: Doesn't leak water when it rains, is warm to drive in the winter, AC blows Ice cold even on the hottest day, I can carry on a conversation with the person in the passenger seat.

There are many things to consider if you are wanting a defender capable truck, but more creature comforts. Remember ... the Defender is a passenger conversion of a military vehicle. It was not designed to be comfortable.

Anyhow, I don't think my Classic will ever have the cool quota of the Defender, but with the way I have it outfitted, it looks great and serves my needs.

Dendy
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Rick,
If you want a Defender with all the comfort and none of the idiosyncrasy, then I recommend the Mercedes-Punch Gelaendewagen. It is a copy of the LR Defender/Series built by the Austrian machine gun maker Puch, and engineered by Germans at Mercedes.
My granddad used to import them to the US through his Kenworth and Mercedes truck dealership in Dallas in the early 1980s. So growing up around them was a lot of fun! When I visited him in Dallas I always drove his 300 GD LWB. We had a G500 for a while and loved it. Think of the G-Wagen as a Defender designed by Germans.
I like my NAS D110 better because it gives me something to tinker with, socialize with friends, and you don't see a dozen or so a day (only 6 D110s in KC). A new 2010 G55 (black of course) would be a close second in my book over my NAS D110.
You could easily accomplish your goals of a more creature comfort Defender with a D90/D110.
So welcome! This site is your best resource for anything Defender.
The LR Defender's only limitation of what you can do with one, is your imagination and guts... oh and ca$h too!
Attached Images

1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:55 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Rick,
You can find all of the information that you are looking for right here in this forum. I am sure it was word selection ("less trucky, more comfy ride, with more "upscale" amenities, etc. for in-town and highway driving") that drew the ire of some. Other words that will trigger this pavlovian response are luxury and lifestyle. The best results seem to be achieved by more specific questions such as how can I improve the sound proofing or what are more comfortable seat options.

I would encourage you to take a look at the "Projects & Build-up's" section of the forum. There are several well respected members who have provided information about modifications/improvements that they have made to thier vehicles such as upgraded/updated dash, upgraded/updated A/C, rear A/C, sound proofing, aftermarket seat upgrades, upulstry Upgrades, heated seats, extra dome lights and the list goes on. Many of which I would think would make the vehicle more comfortable and in some cases features that you would find on upscale/luxury vehicles. If you want pointers to any specific threads, let me know and I will shoot you a PM.

My Defender is my daily driver and I dont have another vehicle that I go to when I drive long distances, when it is cold, When it is hot, when in traffic, when it snows or rains, etc. As a result, I am always thinking about ways that I can make the vehicle more comfortable. Some of the things that I see, I like, others just are not for me. I tend to lean towards function, others towards form - I do think there can be a perfect balance. Does it make one right and the other wrong? I dont think so.

I think that some are pointing out that the truck will always be a truck and to Dendy's points there will be limits. You have a range of members on the forum into Defenders for hard core wheeling, vehicle dependent expedition, world travels, restoration, collecting, etc. For some, the vehicle is the experience, for others it is the means to an end. With that you are going to get a very diverse perspectives.

Matt

Quote:
To the guys that offered helpful advice: thank you very much.
To the ones that offered advice that was less than friendly: I was merely asking for a bit of advice. Sorry to have burdened you with my "gay", "horrible", post. Get over the anger.
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:56 PM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

Rick,

I can relate. I live in NYC and I drive my D90 about once a week for 40+ mile trips. Out to long island in the summer and vermont in the winter. I previously owned an infiniti and bmw but wanted a change and was very nervous about getting the defender and losing out on the comforts and technology. I found a great 1997 AA Yellow in Maryland, traded in the BMW, and was nervous about the decision. After a few drives you get accustomed to the truck. Yes its loud and drives like a truck but I don't regret the decision at all. I have no complaints on the seats and I too have had some minor back issues. I have black heated seat covers that were cheap but work well. (I don't use them anymore because the heat is fine) The truck has an updated alpine receiver, 6disc changer, ipod hookup, and a subwoofer. The sound is quite good for only having four speakers. For GPS, I just bought a Garmin unit that does the job, suction cupped to the window and it looks fine. (there are other gps holders that are available that would blend into the dash if thats what you want) The suspension for me is fine. Driving around manhattan is a little bumpy but nothing shocking. On the highway, i have no complaints. I recently upgraded the headlights for ~$100 and it made a big difference. Whoever your driving around will be used to the noise shortly. I havent had any complaints from new passengers. I have a soft top and when the wind is blowing is does get loud, still quiet enough to carry on a conversation even with the music playing. The best advice I have received from this forum (all the advice has been helpful) is to buy a D90 that is clean, well maintained. I probably overpaid for mine a little bit, but not having any major issues has been well worth it. Bottom line: The truck is one of the coolest autos on the road. Auto enthusiasts respect it when your on the road. When you get in it, you feel great driving it. When its warm and the top is off you will enjoy it even more. Good luck, hope this helps.
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
The least truck like feel of all the NAS Defenders IMO has to be the 1997 D90 Station Wagon. They have a super nice ZF auto transmission (made in Germany). All you would need to do is add sound proofing, and Bilstein shocks.

If I were you I would consider this D90... Click Here--->D90
And as a NAS D110 option I would consider this... Click Here---> D110

And as a word of caution... these things have been known to be very addictive.

Hi my name is Jon, and I am a Defenderholic. I admit that I have a problem, but also admit I have no desire to seek help for this affliction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00587.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	23961  
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:28 PM
humbert
Rick Cooper
None

These are all great posts and useful advice, thanks so much. FYI I just moved to CT after 20 yrs in NYC essentially without using a vehicle on anything other than a monthly basis. And, I'll be honest and state that my use of a Defender will be somewhat different than many of the others on this forum, as I use our current vehicles mainly for basic, everyday transportation and not for offroad or sporting pursuits. We own a LR3 (for my wife), a Saab wagon (to be replaced with a Defender or whatever we decide) and a 1985 Porsche Targa (for fun).
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Thumbs up

Quote:
These are all great posts and useful advice, thanks so much. FYI I just moved to CT after 20 yrs in NYC essentially without using a vehicle on anything other than a monthly basis. And, I'll be honest and state that my use of a Defender will be somewhat different than many of the others on this forum, as I use our current vehicles mainly for basic, everyday transportation and not for offroad or sporting pursuits. We own a LR3 (for my wife), a Saab wagon (to be replaced with a Defender or whatever we decide) and a 1985 Porsche Targa (for fun).
Sorry for getting you bent out of shape. I was having beers with friends and can be sarcastic at times although it was just ribbing. That is hard to see through a computer. I hope you find a good clean truck to suit your needs. Make it your own but please don't forget what it was built for.
And I love you too
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:51 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I make no apologies. Whatever you do drive it like you stole it.
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Since you have two young kids, I would recommend you think twice before getting a SW if you plan on having them sit in those inward facing rear seats. The thought of your kids traveling sideways into the front seat area in an accident should give you some pause for thought. I have two kids and I've never had more than one at a time in the truck and they were in the passenger seat. I can't speak for the rear seat in the ST. Also, Defender's don't have ABS, stability control, or airbags.

Having said that, I have always owned some sort of fun, potential death trap vehicle (starting with a Fiat 128 Spider,) and know that a Gwagen, Mk III Rover, or Landcruiser won't cut it if you've got your heart set on a Defender. Despite some of the opinions expressed here, it doesn't matter whether you drive it to the mall or on the Rubicon; it's your truck.
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM
humbert
Rick Cooper
None

Well, I already own the fun, death-trap vehicle (85 Porsche Targa) so I've got that covered! Not a lot of fun thinking about my kids in that context, I'll grant you that.
Old December 29th, 2009, 02:07 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You can put a Soft Top style forward facing seat in a SW. You will probably net out even after selling your jump seats although, to suit your needs you would probably want to get the seats all to match.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions