Help with VSS Malfunction Code - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 18th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

Help with VSS Malfunction Code

I just got my new VDO programable speedometer in and working right and, of course, now something new has gone wrong. This weekend the "Check Engine" light came on and my code reader indicates a "Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction." Two questions for anyone who might know:

1. How expensive are these to replace?

2. I have read various threads indicating that these can be taken out, cleaned off, and then often they will start working correctly again. Any truth to this?

3. This is the two wire sensor that plugs in the upper half of the transfer case, correct? If anyone can post a photo it would really help.

Normally I would have time to mess with this on my own and figure out the cave man way. But I am leaving for a 3000 mile drive in the 90 next Tuesday and this weekend is Christmas. In other words, I just need to get it fixed as fast as possible.

Thanks,

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

hmm, well thats the thing that you connected the VDO speedo to. You didn't cut the wires? The ECU still need a signal from the speed sensor to know when the 90 is moving to control fueling.

But it is mounted on the frame right next to the T-case. Just fallow yellow cable comming from between the T-case and the drum break, it will go right into the VSS.

After just installing the VDO I would think that would be the reason the ECU is throwing a code. But it may be as simple as a loose wire or something.
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott

Mike,

I understand your position and that is of course the logical place to look. However, the speedometer worked fine for over two weeks with the new VDO speedometer installed. In addition, the vehicle is running fine, even though the check engine light came on due to the VSS malfunction code. Finally, my factory speedometer was bouncing around pretty good before I changed it out and the odometer display would flicker off and on with quite annoying frequency. I have a similar bounce on the needle with the new speedometer.

Given this set of facts I am leaning towards the VSS being shot. The vehicle does have 126,000 on it now and it spent a substantial amount of time in Alaska and Seattle, both very wet and often cold areas.

The only other thing I can think of is that somehow the two VSS sensor wires need to be attached in an exact manner to the new VDO Speedometer and that somehow I plugged those two wires in backwards and that has caused the problem. However, I spoke with the tech at the speedometer shop, who seems extremely knowledgeable on such issues, and he insisted that the two wires from the inductive sensor (VSS) can be plugged into the corresponding pins in the back of the new VDO either way. To resolve this issue once and for all I am going to call VDO tomorrow to check. I will post the results. If anyone has heard something different (ie, the two VSS inductive sensor wires only go in one way) please let me know.

However, I guess it is also possible that new speedometer is defective. If the speedometer was defective could this cause the OBD II sensor to generate a code?

Michael

Edit--So the VSS is actually on the frame? I thought it was the small part at the top of the transfer (driver's side) that has the two wires running out of it. I tried to look this up in my manual but no luck....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Michael,
The VSS on a 1997 is on the t-box itself. I have a whole plie of spares if you need one...PM me or call me.
Rob
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott

Rob,

Thanks for the offer. However, due to the upcoming trip and Christmas/work considerations I needed to get one right away. I got a decent deal at BP next to my house, but the price was still outrageous. Hopefully this will work.

Michael
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Hi Michael! Hope all is going well. Not certain if you remember me or not, but I bought that set of BFG AT's from you a year or so ago. In fact, I loved your Series (still have the pic's) so much, I am in the process of aquiring one myself! Good to see things are going well out in Cali! Take care. Jeff
Old December 19th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott

Jeff,

I do remember you and I hope the tires worked out well for you. I am glad that they went to someone who needed that size.

Things are going well here but I am getting ready to leave for DC for 18 months. Unfortunately I will be forced to leave the Series III behind. Want to buy it!?!?!?!

Michael
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott

Just a quick update for anyone with the same problem. I found a new VSS at British Pacific for around $90 and put it in last night. I would have taken up other offers on this post for used ones but given the nature and lenght of my upcoming trip to DC I just needed to get something in right away. In any event, I put about 100 miles on the car today in the LA area and it appear (knock on wood twelve times) that the problem is resolved.

If anyone wants to get a good look at how to do this, or the sensor itself for a 97, I strongly recommend the FAQ section of DiscoWeb, which has a very brief but good write up on the matter.

Michael
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:58 PM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

or this

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions