Help with voltage issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 9th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Help with voltage issue

Searched the forum and can't seem to find any info relative to my episodic issue..... So I hope some can chime in with some guidance.....

The alternator: Bosch AL9346X which I believe has a built in voltage regulator

The issue:
My voltage is normally at 13.8 or so. Every so often specially when at higher speeds as in highway, it starts by first loss of tachometer, which initially I thought was a loose wire but no, i monitored the volts as this was happenning and when loss of tach, the volts drop to 10-11.5 Its much less frequent when driving inner city slower traffic.
The worst is at night when the volts drop as my lights dim and dim and get episodic loss of power on truck.

The resolve:
I'm assuming its the voltage regulator, which i believe is built and can be changed by removing cover.
Question is, does anyone have had this or similar issue or experience with this alternator? I can't seem to find a regulator that matches this model. Probably have to remove it and match it. And should I have the alternator rebuilt at same time???

Thanks for any info.....

phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2010, 09:44 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

When the tach acts nutty, the alternator is on the way out. Could be the regulator or brushes or winding or... Just have it rebuilt, or swap it out for a new/rebuilt unit. I've had the wacky tach on both 110s and replacing the alternator fixed it.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90 View Post
When the tach acts nutty, the alternator is on the way out. Could be the regulator or brushes or winding or... Just have it rebuilt, or swap it out for a new/rebuilt unit. I've had the wacky tach on both 110s and replacing the alternator fixed it.
Thats what I figured..... when you have it rebuilt, they automatically replace regulator?
Rebuilding current Bosch is more of a financial reality right now.....

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2010, 09:51 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpigapicha View Post
Thats what I figured..... when you have it rebuilt, they automatically replace regulator?
Rebuilding current Bosch is more of a financial reality right now.....
My guess is they do, but I've always just gotten an exchange unit. I think the the last one I bought was from Ebay.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions