Defender Source Forum banner

Help with tire carrier quick release

6K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  flyfish 
#1 ·
Not sure if our spare tire carrier was made for the Defender. We can't open the back when the spare tire is on because the latch is hidden behind the tire. If I remove the bolt holding the carrier to the back door the carrier does swing out nicely. I am looking for a creative way to latch the carrier to the back door and easily unlatch it so that I can open the back door.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I run same carrier on two series trucks. Do to the paralellagram hinge condition they do need adjustment and tuning from time to time. Check all mounting are tight and that white delrin bushing needs to slide in and out freely, about 3" of play. When they work they are fantastic.

#7 ·
What size tyre are you fitting 315's? I have 235 85 16's and have plenty of room to get to the latch.

Is that really a mantic? Lower hinge looks differant

Attachments

#12 ·
In your first picture showing the studs the wheel fits on where are the three big washers one on each, stops the wheel going on to far you should have about three to four inched between the tyre and the door. Just thinking out loud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.