Help with sputtering etc... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2006, 09:15 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

Exclamation Help with sputtering etc...

Well, here goes..
I have this similar problem, and cannot fix it.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...&highlight=wet

and just about ever other related thread for that matter, but anyway, I've been at this for the last 2 days just about non stop. I went mudding, showing off to a bunch of jeeps from work, conquering it all like it was nothing until.... we went through what we call the the "car wash" and I splashed into it a little too fast, and it immediately died. longer story short, I had all the similar symptoms of when I leave it out in heavy rains, which I always had thought it was due to water getting in my snorkal. Takes a while to get it to start, then when it does finally start, its sputtery, coughing, like its suffocating. Then after about an hour of idling its all dried out.. but this time, no way.. finally got it to idle ok, but couldnt push the gas in at all without killing it. I read all these threads and tried the following... I know the fuel pump comes on I can hear it, I reset ECU taking off the batter for about 30 min, I replaced spark plugs, and plug wires, (needed to anyway), sparks like a mofo, so I tested that. ECU compartment and engine fuse box is dry (granted entire engine area was wet... but ive been in worse water..) I let it dry overnight before I changed it all out. Now, It fires up and idles like the champ it normally is, however, now when i push on the gas a bit, I get the sputtery coughing wheezing like its suffocating, and if I persist, it dies. Some of the things I read in threads I dont honestly know how to do, (take off fuel pump relay) etc, I still am hoping and guessing that it is flooded and tomorrow when I get up it will be fine. I was gonna buy the coil pack, @ $80 from autozone, then I realized I would have to buy four of them, so I dont wanna have to do that ... yet. If any of you gurus know how to do stuff that I havent thought of please help. I was gonna replace the fuel filter, but I'll wait. till tomorrow to prioritize buying stuff. In the above thread it mentioned putting silicon on the coil, but I dont know where.. etc... I can take pictures But not sure If that would help anyway.. and just before I started this I went down and triple checked that I put the plug wires in order... as that is how its acting...
anyway HELP!!!!!!!!!
thanks guys and gals!
-Jason

Attached Files
File Type: zip Recording.zip (136.4 KB, 72 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2006, 09:20 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
maybe some water in the fuel??? how fast were you going when you hit said mud puddle? maybe check your cap and the wire from the coil to the cap. i got that wet once and it ran poorly
Old November 11th, 2006, 09:28 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
maybe some water in the fuel??? how fast were you going when you hit said mud puddle? maybe check your cap and the wire from the coil to the cap. i got that wet once and it ran poorly
just 3-4mph, I have no idea... checked wires on coil all looks good.. not dist cap cuz its at 97, and put dielectric (sp?) on just about any connector i could find..
-J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2006, 10:00 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Thinking about you hitting the mud puddle hard, made me think of something underneath being affected. You might want to check your oxygen sensors, wiring, and cats? Just a guess.
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:13 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
Thinking about you hitting the mud puddle hard, made me think of something underneath being affected. You might want to check your oxygen sensors, wiring, and cats? Just a guess.
ITs drivin me crazy cause it always acts like this when I leave it in the rain for a while, but never for this long... Looks ok underneath, dont know how to check the cats, but I shook it all, its pretty solid with nothing rattling inside... and o2 senson, who knows, how do i check that? .

-Thanks
-J
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:53 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Check the wires that plug into the o2 sensors on your exhaust pipes. You may also want to plug in an OBD2 reader and see what it says.

P.S. Your audio recording is a pretty darn good idea.
Old November 12th, 2006, 08:53 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

It was easy to find my short at the ignition coil at night in a dark garage. Since yours will run at low rpm have someone rev the engine while you look for arcing under your hood in total darkness.

Keep a flashlight in hand so you can see where you are sticking your hands and face.

All mine needed was a little silicone caulking around the rubber high tension cap on the bottom of the coil. I don't know if 97's are the same.
Old November 12th, 2006, 01:39 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

morning update...

Well, As I expected it seems to be fine now that its all dried out...
however, Iknwo there is still a problem, That at least its reallylikely to be electrical and it will happen once its wet again.. Boggling. NOw my trucks nickname at work is Land only Rover...
So I am looking for the bottom of the coils for that plug to waterproof it with silicone, but who knows, So any other suggestions I appreciate.. At least Im sure I've narrowed it down to some type of short out maybe when it gets wet up there, I may try spraying some water up there today to dbl check..
-J

Follow-up Post:

Ok so I took it out for a spin... now if i floor it it struggles, (or accelerate too fast), so I cant get much over 50mph, This is rediculous, land only rover.... I tried the in the dark test and saw nothing. change oil now? I dont know...
If there are any serious gurus out there, It may be easier if you just called me....
-Jason
317-354-7186
I'm sure I'll be at autozone or in the garage...
Old November 13th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Well you could always disconnect every major connection on the engine harness and clean them out with compressed air/dielectric grease. Take off the intake tube from the Mass air flow sensor to the plenum, make sure no water got it. I would also take off the potential meter and speed stepper motor and check their seals as well. After the truck dries out I'd probably also check all rubber vacuum hoses as well. Worst case scenario I'd go as far as to take off the plenum and intake manifold to check I don't have any leaks. Changes the coil packs or substituting it for one that is known to be good is also a good idea, although its probably not your problem. good luck

Neil
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:53 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

vehicle speed sensor?
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My guess is the computer gets wet or the wires themselves are really old and getting wet.

Next guess would be the 02 sensors or the crank sensor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions