HELP with spare tire mount - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Cool HELP with spare tire mount

I have a D-90 SW model and am looking to put a spare tire mount on the back. I have found one being sold on this site, but it is currently mounted on a soft top model. The issue at hand is that the spare tire mount(an original Land Rover model) is attached to the rear gate on the soft top which is indented(the tail gate is indented, not the carrier). Clearly, the SW model has a flat or flush door with no indentation. I don't know if the carrier adjusts so as to be straight or even to operate properly on a flush SW door. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2009, 02:08 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Get a mantec. It will work with the SW perfectly.
Old September 4th, 2009, 07:47 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
Get a mantec. It will work with the SW perfectly.
X2...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2009, 05:13 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

I was just trying to save a couple of bucks over the cost of buying a mantec new. The Bearmach seems to be much less expensive, if I buy new! Any feedback on the bearmach?... or the original landrover for that matter, as it would be much cheaper than new.
Thanks,
Mike
Old September 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I put a ST tire carrier on my SW and it worked fine, but if I had it to do over, I would have bought the mantec.

Old September 5th, 2009, 10:19 AM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Well I am trying to save a couple of bucks(new mantec carrier is $500), but, I don't want to do anything stupid(i.e. buy a L.R. original equipment carrier cheap), and wind up with a substandard carrier that rattles, vibrates or doesn't work well when I need to open the door. I am even thinking of going back to my old fashioned carrier that mounts directly to the door and puts all the weight on the door frame. I don't know if I want to do that, however, since I just replaced my door with a really pristine, solid and rust free door. Any thoughts.
Old September 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
People have had good luck with the Bearmach - you'll probably be fine with that. I have Mantec because I'm a tool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 5th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

If you have the money, 'cry once - buy once'; spend the money on something of known quality. That said, Bearmach as Jim has said should be good too. Also, you don't have to pay the $500 from Rovers North. Go to John Craddock's website. I have a brand new Mantec from them which cost $370 shipped to my door and delivered in about a week.

Or continue to try to find a cheaper one here.
Old September 5th, 2009, 03:05 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

I have the UV Holdings carrier from AB and really like it, except for the flaking off powder coat (curse the powder coat gods), but I think Mantec owners suffer from the same fate eventually. Anyways, the UV Holdings carrier offers the HI LIFT holder, very cool IMO. I run 255/85 BFGs and the HI LIFT still fits with the spare on. It's made for EURO Spec Land Rovers, so should work just fine for yours.

I think it was the same price as the Mantec too, if not a few dollars cheaper.

-Neil
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:32 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Has anyone had any experience withe the DAP Industries spare tire carrier? They are located in Vermont, the carrier looks a lot like the mantec model and the SW model price is $325. It looks like nice quality.
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Doesn't DAP sell the Bearmach?

Old September 5th, 2009, 09:54 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

I don't know... they don't specify brand. I assumed that it might have been their own manufactured product. But, it looks pretty nice.
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

I just am ordering the spare tire carrier from DAP. They tell me the brand is Pivlock and that the company is supplier to the British military. It looks really solid and nice. And, the price is a reasonable $325. I am curious if anyone else has had any experience with this model.
Mike
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:31 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

The new spare tire carrier arrived Friday from DAP. Jim was right that it was a Bearmach, not a Pivlock as I was told by sales staff. That being said, I couldn't be more pleased. I have not seen the Mantec, but, I can't imagine a carrier being more heavily built or more exacting in quality than the Bearmach. The finish seems to be a really heavy nylon that is flawless. It works great. It is very quiet(no rattles) when driving. If anyone esle out there is looking for a carrier, I would recommend the Bearmach. It looks like the pics of the Mantec and is a fraction of the cost at $325. Thanks to those who offered advice.
Old September 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Technically, it is a fraction of the cost of a Mantec, but at 15/17ths of the price, its not a particularly small fraction

That being said, you totally owe us pix!

Old September 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I have that one Mike, it seems fine, I did have repowder coated though, but that was due to the fact that I am also a "tool"I had it fitted On the SW rear door and a tailgate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofbones
Has anyone had any experience withe the DAP Industries spare tire carrier? They are located in Vermont, the carrier looks a lot like the mantec model and the SW model price is $325. It looks like nice quality.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mount, spare, spare tire, tire