help with purchase decision - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 22nd, 2005, 11:26 AM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

help with purchase decision

There is a white SW on ebay right now. It has been wrecked, but restored. I could get it for a decent price, but don't know how nervous I should be about the accident. They say the engint idles a little high, the service engine light is on, and there is a noise in the drivetrain occasionaly that was unfindable by the land rover dealership. What do you guys think. I want it as a daily driver, and will be in trouble if it has a million problems. Any advice would help. And if anyone has any idea what the noise in the drivetrain could be that would be good info also.

Thank you,

Martin
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2005, 12:38 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
It will be hard to resell I would think with a salvage title.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 01:09 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I would say if you want it for wheeling, go for it, because you are going to end up tearing it apart and doing so much work to it at one point or another anyways, but if you want a reliable daily driver.... forget it. Just my thoughts based on my experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2005, 03:35 PM
javelinadave
-
-

You may have trouble insuring a vehicle with a salvage title. I would do a lot of homework before making an offer on the truck.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
Rover- Girl

It may sell for a"decent" price, but you will end up putting alot of money in it when things start to go wrong..and they will.
I would walk away....keep looking
Old October 22nd, 2005, 08:38 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

low ball em!!!
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:16 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

thanks

I have decided to keep waiting. Thanks for the help. If anyone knows where I can find a good 90 for 20,000 or less let me know. Thanks a lot.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:35 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

"engine idles high" is probably just an adjustment that needs to be made. If the "check engine" light is on, that probably means a bad stepper motor or a simple adjustment to be made.

If the "service engine" light is on, then that just means the truck has X amount of miles on it, since "Service Engine" is nothing but a timer that reminds you to inspect the emissions system due to milage.

Drivetrain noise is the only one I'd be concerned with of what you've mentioned, but it depends on what he noise is. They ALL have some occasional drivetrain noise.

Now, going by what the auction says and the pictures show, here are what I can see about it.

1. The body looks ok, but not great. The rivets on the driver side are replacements, I think that whole panel is a replacement. Paint looks fresh. I think it was a front hit too though, since both front fender flares look to be the newer smooth type and the rears are the older satin finish like it came with. The patches where they removed the roof rack look really cheezy. The LR logo plate on the back has been painted green, poorly too.

2. The front bumper isn't bolted on, and the winch fairlead is missing 2 rollers.The rear bumper is rusted a bunch in some spots.

3. Frame needs a close and in-person inspection, looks rusty from the photos.

4. Rusty drippy mess coming from the rear diff plug, from old diff?

5. My parking brake handle doesn't come even close to vertical, that one does.

6. Seat boxes are a MESS

7. no spare tire, nor a mount.

So, in my opinion.... good project truck if you wanted to tear it down and build it back the way you wanted. Coming from Hawaii makes me think of salt corrosion all over the thing, which is bad news too. Not worth what the bids are already up to once you combine everything with the salvage title. Save your pennies and get a more solid starting point.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:48 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

okay

Thank you for your input. I have decided to wait it out. The problem I have is money. I want a good truck for under 20,000. That is proving to be hard to find. If you have any idea where I should look let me know.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 02:11 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

You can always get a REALLY nice Early Bronco, FJ-40 or other equally cool truck in that price range.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 08:18 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

You could always buy Yousef's truck that he's got for sale on here.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old October 23rd, 2005, 11:29 AM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
You can always get a REALLY nice Early Bronco, FJ-40 or other equally cool truck in that price range.

-Hans
I just sold a Stroppe Bronco which is a fairly rare version, I have owned close to 20 66-77 Bronco's and while I still think they are cool, a well set up truck goes 12-20k. On the high end you get a 30+ year old truck with fuel injection, 4 wheel disk brakes, full cage and a semi-updated suspension. Don't get me wrong its still cool but that description describes exactly what you get with a near stock Defender.
I just bought my second off ebay, its a 94 AA Yellow (I hear thats Yousef's favorite color ) with 42k miles that was wrecked at one point and has a cleaned salvage title. The truck is solid but someone started to do a 4.0 conversion so I picked it up for less than 12k. I will drive it as much as I can but I have a modded Excursion diesel as my daily driver.

I had a 97 90 before, and while I would not recommend them as a daily driver unless you are mechanically inclined or have a good local repair shop, I also understand if you want to give it a shot. I picked both up on Ebay much less than market value (imho). You just need to be patient and watch www.cars.com or ebay and you will find a suitable truck. Again though I think you will enjoy a Defender much more if you can keep a primary driver as it takes the pressure off braking things or doing weekend "upgrades" plus it eliminates a bunch of leverage from Mr. Murphy.

If you find a truck remotely, I would bet you could talk someone on the board into taking the first look at it for you to make sure you don't waste your time.
My 2cents.
Dennis
Old October 24th, 2005, 06:45 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

another question

I found a 94 with 85,000 miles. It is an ST, OME springs and shocks, 285 tires, white, and has the R380. The price is 20,500. Little to no rust, straight body, clean title and history. Does this sound like a good deal.
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:14 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yeah

Follow-up Post:

actually there is no such thing as a deal when it comes to Land Rovers
Old October 25th, 2005, 05:29 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

just saw this
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...0&cardist=2282
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old October 25th, 2005, 05:38 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

What's up with the airbags?
Old October 25th, 2005, 07:49 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

scam

the d-90 on auto trader for 15200 is a scam!!!! I looked into it. After emailing back and forth with the guy for about a week, I still could not get him to call me or give me his phone number. Then I saw the same pictures on EBAY, and there was a phone number. I called and the guy told me someone stole his pictures off ebay and posted it on auto trader, and had been scamming people out of there money. Let everyone know.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions