help with new truck - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2013, 08:40 AM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
help with new truck

New member - just purchased a 1995 portofino S/T. 100k miles, in the process of having the transmission rebuilt and a new clutch installed. From the little history I have on the vehicle it appears to have been off the grid since it was purchased by a local Texan - who apparently used it as a farm vehicle. Called the local dealer and it has never been serviced by LR according to their records. Given the location, no rust or any real corrosion. Paint has seen better days, but I can live with that. Question for the group is as a first time Defender owner buying a truck with 100k miles, what should I do in terms of care/preventive maintenance/upgrades while she's still in the shop? My current thoughts are as follows:

1) SS Oil cooler lines - if anyone has a brand suggestion would appreciate it
2) SS Exhaust - probably Borla
3) Battery - possibly 2
4) SS brake lines - worth it?
5) Tires - something tall and skinny, fairly aggressive
Other - depending on condition probably replace a number of hoses, belts, fuel pump, water pump, alternator.

Any suggestions would be great. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys out there on the trails (or more likely the grocery store parking lot...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D90 outside.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	79028  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2013, 08:55 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Bonefish, seems like you've already did the research! Call Eric at Trailhead4x4 in Ohio and he'll send you the proper oil cooler lines.

As far as batteries...what's your plans...winch, fridge, etc? I know the Red top optimal are popular (what I have)...but if money isn't an issue the Odyssey 2100 is the way to go!

Yes to Borla!

Search on brake lines.

I'll let others point you in the right directions on tires.

Nice looking truck!
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Welcome to the board...you'll need to find some NY Boost rims. The Texas sun will bake the toughest finish right off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2013, 09:13 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish4 View Post
New member - just purchased a 1995 portofino S/T. 100k miles, in the process of having the transmission rebuilt and a new clutch installed. From the little history I have on the vehicle it appears to have been off the grid since it was purchased by a local Texan - who apparently used it as a farm vehicle. Called the local dealer and it has never been serviced by LR according to their records. Given the location, no rust or any real corrosion. Paint has seen better days, but I can live with that. Question for the group is as a first time Defender owner buying a truck with 100k miles, what should I do in terms of care/preventive maintenance/upgrades while she's still in the shop? My current thoughts are as follows:

1) SS Oil cooler lines - if anyone has a brand suggestion would appreciate it
2) SS Exhaust - probably Borla
3) Battery - possibly 2
4) SS brake lines - worth it?
5) Tires - something tall and skinny, fairly aggressive
Other - depending on condition probably replace a number of hoses, belts, fuel pump, water pump, alternator.

Any suggestions would be great. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys out there on the trails (or more likely the grocery store parking lot...)
Welcome. The search button here (especially advanced search) will give you access to a TON of information if you put some key words in there. You should have the truck brought up to a standard/baseline with your local trusted mechanic - you should also check out your maintenance intervals...I think there's a 100k service that you should think about having done.

1) Trailhead 4x4. I think they're one of 2 brands you'll see if you search the forum.
2) I've had 2 Borlas, and they can be loud. If you like that, then do it. Otherwise NRP or something else.
3) Cool
4) Sure
5) Great. Post pics!

You can have the truck fully detailed and waxed, and that paint should come back. It's incredibly resilient.
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:15 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Welcome and congrats!

I always recommend changing all the fluids as a baseline procedure. Other than the oil cooler line upgrade I would drive her for a while before doing anything major. You may like her just the way it is.

Do you plan on keeping her a half cab? Do you have the rest of the roll cage?
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:26 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I would take a bit of a diffrent path.

Replace the oil cooler lines 1st

Hold off on the upgrades for a little while and focus on the belts, fluids and other maintnance items to get it in good runing condition and then start looking at upgrades after you have a good feel for what it needs and how it drives.
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:28 AM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
Appreciate all the quick replies - I'll try to cover all the comments here:

Right now planning to just get her back to "stock-ish". Have the original soft top and the fiberglass top. negotiated some full doors in the purchase so planning to run full door with hardtop in winter. (I gave up the half cab in the process) The roll bar is going back in as stock.

Like the battery suggestion - nothing extra going on right now except a couple Hella's. Good battery/batteries intended to make sure it starts after sitting for periods (considering adding a battery cut off as well).

RE: boost wheels - I have to admit I am a traditionalist when it comes to the Defender, but appreciate that they may have taken a beating in texas - I'll take that over NY salty roads any day!

Josh - my brother in law had the same comment on the paint. I am torn. I have an old 911 with original paint that I am so happy I never messed with. Rationale for possibly painting is that the truck is somewhat apart, and adding the new set of doors it may be tough to match. Would be a waste if I put it all together and the paint doesn't cooperate when I can have a professional job done for about $4k.
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Lots of guys like that rough paint look...since LR's tend to rust from the inside out, that would be the last think I would address.

Well to get the wave from your NY brothers...at least imply that you have a set in the carriage house! lol...
oh and don't let them try and con you about any membership dues for the "club"...Josh just uses that money for electronics upgrades for his surveillance grid! Josh knows who Josh is...
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:37 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
I would take a bit of a diffrent path.

Replace the oil cooler lines 1st
Oil cooler lines should come first for sure. I'm pretty sure that's what Gery was saying but just to make that clear.

Also, what number is the truck? Did it come with A/C?
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:40 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
For tall, skinny, and aggressive tires, the vast majority go with the 255/85R16 BFG KM2. Regarding paint, buff it out -- it can only be original once.
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:49 AM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
Truck does have the factory A/C - which works (as well as it can...) Badge number to follow.

Oh and re the NY reference - Greenport is an old blue collar whaling town, where my CJ-7 looks much more at home than a defender!

------ Follow up post added September 4th, 2013 09:54 AM ------

down_shift - I hear you on the paint, it is by far the hardest decision. Thinking I am going to give that a shot and see where it comes out. One "issue" is that my wife wanted a low mileage white '97 (for the auto) - and she got this instead - so, I am sadly trying to make it "look good" to somewhat appease the mrs.

On the tires - most people recommend a small lift or keep it stock? I am inclined toward stock height.
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:56 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

1st thing stop taking it to the dealer and call me !!!!! ..
welcome..my parents have had a house in Greenport for over 20 yrs love it out there
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:02 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Get it running and driving. Then run it and drive it. It will tell you what it needs.
There are so many people who buy one of these and the first thing they want to do is put tall tires, a set of lift springs, long shocks, blah blah blah before they even get to know and understand the vehicle.
Don't waste your money on aftermarket exhaust. They are all worthless. Go to a local muffler shop and have them bend up a stainless cat-back system for you.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:06 AM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
Bill - agree completely, only caveat I should mention is that the truck is with the RMR guys down in Alabama, and given that they deal with these trucks much more regularly than anyone I will have access to locally, it makes sense to get a few things done correctly by people who really know what they're doing.
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'm with the guys over replacing the oil cooler lines and fluids. While you are at it, any radiator lines that look old, ditch and replace. Don't forget your balls. Swivel balls that is.
Then just drive it for six months. Get to know it. Let the weak spots come out and fix them the right way first time as you go.
Portafino Red is my personal favorite color having had it on my D1.
Congrats.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:19 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

for the battery, get the big Sears Die Hard Platinum one. If you watch for a sale you can get it for a good price.
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:35 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish4 View Post
Truck does have the factory A/C - which works (as well as it can...) Badge number to follow.

Oh and re the NY reference - Greenport is an old blue collar whaling town, where my CJ-7 looks much more at home than a defender!

------ Follow up post added September 4th, 2013 09:54 AM ------

down_shift - I hear you on the paint, it is by far the hardest decision. Thinking I am going to give that a shot and see where it comes out. One "issue" is that my wife wanted a low mileage white '97 (for the auto) - and she got this instead - so, I am sadly trying to make it "look good" to somewhat appease the mrs.

On the tires - most people recommend a small lift or keep it stock? I am inclined toward stock height.
Not only try to save the original paint, but if you can't -- don't change the color if you respray! It very well could be worth LESS $ afterwards if the bulkhead and all the other inaccessible areas remain red. Don't do it.
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:40 AM
bonefish4
Brian Merrins
1995/D90 ST

Registry
Regarding the color specifically - agree with Chris, portofino is my favorite, by a hair over arles. I actually looked into having a 97 arles converted into a S/T to appease the wife, but we all know what that involves.

Specific to painting it - agree I would never do a color change. Will share some pictures after trying to resuscitate it.
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:19 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Just to prove my point on Portofino Red, you should read Buying a "found" NAS D90 from user found90 here.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...t=24696&page=1

http://found90.wordpress.com/2011/09...ore-and-after/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	found90 before.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	79033   Click image for larger version

Name:	found90 after.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	79034  

Old September 4th, 2013, 11:33 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I can attest to the portofino red cleaning up nicely with some elbow grease.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions