Help with inspection - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 8th, 2016, 09:19 AM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 Defender 110 LS, 1993 130 tdi

I thought about two different ways. Buy a RHD and convert it. I was told that starting in the late 80's, converting a RHD involved cutting on the bulkhead and the conversion bits were about $5K and another $5k to do the conversion. Second option was to buy a LHD, import it, then put a 300 tdi in it (along with the rest of the drivetrain). I spoke to a local Land Rover mechanic and they said that the 300 tdi drive train could run $5K and install another $5k or maybe even more. He said that at that point, you might as well rebuild it, which is not what I wanted to get into right away. I looked at the costs of doing one, or both of these and I figured that I should just hold out until I find an original one that fits the bill (wasn't thinking about any of that when I looked at the Santana).

The white 110 the Green Mountain Rover is selling right now looks to be the kind of Landy I am looking for, except that he would like $56k for it. Thanks for everyone's help / input. Like the jag forum, I find that enthusiasts are some of the best people to reach out to when tackling something like this. If anyone knows / hears of anything, let me know. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Conversions are not the way to go....too costly - especially the dash for LHD. Keep searching - don't be in a hurry, and the right one will pop up
Old January 8th, 2016, 09:32 AM
stancey
steven stancey

I actually had to look up what a perentie was. Cool truck. I bet the PTA moms would just love it when I rolled into the dropoff line at school driving that thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2016, 01:03 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Fwiw, there's also a Mercedes diesel swap option. One mechanic who has posted here in the last year or so claims 300hp potential & he has apparently done at least one of those for someone else who posts here. I think the customer member had a thread titled something cryptic like "not what I thought it would be" - should come up on a search via MB, Mercedes, and/or whatever that MB engine is called...
Old January 8th, 2016, 01:46 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stancey View Post
I actually had to look up what a perentie was. Cool truck. I bet the PTA moms would just love it when I rolled into the dropoff line at school driving that thing.
You have to go in backwards.
Old January 8th, 2016, 04:00 PM
stancey
steven stancey

If I get this 110, I think the kids will want me to just go through the grass. Funny video, but that is exactly how it is. If you mess up the rotation, you are a dead man.
Old January 16th, 2016, 10:23 PM
stancey
steven stancey

So, here is kind of an update. I found a real cherry of a LHD 110 200 tdi in Central America. I haven't had it inspected yet, but I have been emailed a ton of pictures and it looks really good and the price is fair. I have a very close family friend that lives around where the Landy is, so I have someone I can trust handle supervising a PPI and purchase if necessary. Here is the catch. It is a 1993 (not NAS). I have looked on the threads and found out that unless I do a bunch of crazy stuff to it, I can't import it under the 1993 rule. Is there any other way to get it in legally without having to sit on it for 2 years, which I don't want to do? A little mouse told me that I could import it to Canada, then bring it through Vermont through some loophole. Is that correct or am I dreaming. It is registered as a 1993, however I haven't checked the vin to see the actual build date. I'm just trying to keep all my options open. I know the forum hates import questions and I tried looking for something close to this topic, but I couldn't find anything. Thanks
Old January 16th, 2016, 10:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You can't bring it in until the build date is more than 25 years. There is no loophole. It would just not be being caught.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 16th, 2016, 11:50 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

Maybe you are interested; I have a 110 with 300 Tdi and R380 already here in the states.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-625029324.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	542.6 KB
ID:	139604
Old January 17th, 2016, 10:03 AM
stancey
steven stancey

PM sent Johan. Thanks
Old January 17th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Rockymountainrover
Ollie Parr
1989 Perentie 110 troop carrier

Registry
Perentie Isuzu Turbo kit

If you're interested in a Perentie I have 3 available , all in amazing condition with very low miles . The downside is you can't convert the Perentie to LHD due to the engine configuration .
Old January 17th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stancey View Post
I know... I know... I love my 4 runner. Best suv I've ever owned......but.....boring as hell. It starts every time. Fairly quiet. Has a/c.... Auto... I'll tell you what I told my wife. I'm only on this earth for a short period of time. I want to drive something fun and interesting. I don't want to look to my right at a stop light and see The same car I'm driving in a different color. When I'm old, I'll get a big Lexus that parks itself (and will probably drive itself), but until then I want to enjoy what I drive......until......I doesn't start one morning... New cars have lost their luster with me.
I'm pretty sure you'll need a Defender with ZF gear!

Other Defenders almost differs in colour!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
inspection