Help with getting 90 painted? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 17th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Question Help with getting 90 painted?

I am looking at getting my ST painted within the next 2 weeks. Just had a few questions I hope you guys could help me with. More than likely I am going to have a shop spray the stuff that will let it air dry. I know it cures much faster in an oven, but that adds to the cost, and waiting a little longer won't kill me. The bulkhead and a few other parts are galvanized, anything in particular I should ask for to be done to the galv. stuff? Any particular primer/paint I should request? I am starting to get a little worried about the paint, because I don't know jack about painting autos, and I don't want a shite job on this truck after all the work I have put into it. Even the best shops in town still turn out crap, so any heads up's would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2004, 07:18 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Where do you plan on getting it painted? Most the shops in town haven't done impressive work. I take everything out of town to get it done.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Where do you go? I usually use B & N, but their quality has gone way down in the last couple of years. They just repainted my SW under warranty, not great enough for me if I had to pay for it. I have talked to a couple of shops, but as soon as they find out it's a LR, they jack up the $$$. I was thinking about visiting Classic Coachworks on 33E tomorrow and talk to them. It can't be that hard to paint a truck Alpine White, can it :-)?
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2004, 12:31 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I take everything out of town to a guy up in roanoke rapids. I know it is a ways to go, but he does damn good work. He did some work years back on a '88 Range Rover my family had. I just haven't been impressed with body shops in this part of eastern north carolina. I've seen the shotty work done on domestic cars, i'd be second guessing their work on a land rover.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:32 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If the panels, bulkhead were dipped galvanized, personally I would NOT paint them. Getting anything to stick to galvanizing that is hot dipped long term is a real challenge and the only thing I have seen work is galvagrip primer and I do not have any experience more than 5 years with that.
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:36 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Dupont chroma premier paint is nice, glasuirt (sp) top of the line stuff is nice too. If they are painting the aluminium bare and not over the existing paint make sure they use a good seperate etch and etch primer then paint.

If I were painting it I would pimp it out with some house of kolor white pearl, nothing gaudy, just something a little better/different so the real enthusiasts would notice.

Ron
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Mils
Ed/Miller
'95 Defender ST

Why don't you check out East Coast Rover in Maine? They do nice work.
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

ECR Sure does, but the wait is over a year now and they are transitioning their business as it would appear....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, paint