Help with engine not starting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 4th, 2005, 11:26 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Help with engine not starting

hey guys,
As some of you know, our D-90 was wrecked. Well, we decided to buy it back from insurance and fix it ourselves. I was working on it tonight and what I am planning on doing is to get the engine and transmission ready to be stored for a while because I won't be running them much during the frame replacement (which will be an extended project due to time constraints). Here's a little background on the wreck along with some pics for those that haven't seen it yet... http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...=advice+sought

So I went to try and start the engine today because visually, nothing happened to it. I just wanted it to catch so I could be sure that it was OK. It would turn over, but wouldn't catch and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. The spark plugs are sparking, so I am pretty sure the problem lies in the fuel lines. it really doesn't sound like it's getting fuel. I checked all the fuel lines visually and they are all fine though. I know the fuel tank was emptied by the shop that was looking it over for insurance. I only had about 2 gallons of fuel at home, so that's all I put in. It still wouldn't catch when I tried starting it.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what may be the problem? Or a way that I could narrow it down??

After I know that it will at least start, I can go ahead and store it (i.e. fogging oil in the cylinders, anti-sieze on the spark plugs, block intake/exhaust holes so critters don't move in, etc.) I really want to get it started though first. BTW, it has been sitting for about a month outside on the body shop's lot. It was never started there though FWIW.

If I put a socket on the crankshaft bolt, the engine turns over freely also.

Any suggestions to get it started???

TIA!!
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

IIRC, there is a collision sensor somewhere in there and cuts power to the fuel pump if it's tripped.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:54 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

inertia switch
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yep sounds like the inertia switch. It should be in the fuse pannel, about the size of a relay with a button on top.
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:12 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

That worked!!! Fired right up on the first crank of the key. Thanks for the help guys!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, start, starting