Help with electrical issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 3rd, 2015, 02:44 PM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
Help with electrical issues

I have two issues I'm trying to work through. Disclaimer, I am REALLY bad with electrical stuff so I'd appreciate any help.

I have a parasitic draw on the car. Very small, kills the battery in about 2-3 weeks. Battery is still good so I performed an amp test by bridging the negative cable and negative terminal. At rest, the car is drawing .40 amps. I went and started pulling fuses to see the effect would be:
top left fuse, the one the clock is on- 6 MA
Hazards- 24MA
I stopped at the hazards as that brought me down to .16-.18 amps. Is 24 milliamps normal for the hazard circuit while it's off? That seemed wrong to me. I do have LEDs if that matters

I have a Hella 3000s across the roof. inner two and outer two are on separate switches. Inside two stopped working. I took the volt meter and went down the wire. At the fuse, with the switch on, it's reading roughly 8.5 Volts. Next I went to the relay, pulled that and bridged that I think is the 12V and ground and got 8.5 volts. So if power is getting to the relay but no lights, I can assume it's the relay that needs replacing correct? It's a 12V 30amp relay. Do I need a Hella specific one or can I get any relay that matches 12v and 30amp? It's Hella part # 4KA 003 510-08. I can't find it online so i'm hoping any old relay from the auto store will work.
Land Rovers are by far the best looking 4x4 on the back of a flatbed...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions