Help With Electrical Gremilins - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Help With Electrical Gremilins

I did a search but the topic is sort of obscure and has only been touched upon. I have a few accesories like a stereo, 300 watt amp, XM sat, fog lights and then the stock electrical components. When I am using too many things at once ( like XM, stereo, amp, and either high beams or heater fan) my tachometer stops working. I just replaced the alternator when it quit and I have a (hold the criticizm) Optima yellow top battery. I seem to be drawing too much juice for the alternator when running too many accesories. One other thing, the XM radio is the one thing that really seems to do me in. When it isn't on then I don't think that I have any problems. So do I need a stronger alternator or do I have a short or bad connection through the XM radio mount?
Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2006, 08:07 PM
javelinadave
-
-

XM should use 3 amps or less. Sounds like a bad connection or a bad power supply in the unit.
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:18 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

If the tach stops working it probably means the alternator is cutting out. Either the alternator is bad or you have wiring troubles - corrosion, bad grounds, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

How is the XM wired in? Where is it drawing its power from? I have mine feeding from the same switched power as the radio and never had a problem.

Also, the stock tach kinda sucks. Mine was all over the place for a while after I changed my coolant gauge. The wiring and connectors are real sensitive to any changes and like to fail.

How is the connections on both sides of the battery cables?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:40 PM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

check your main earth lead from the battery
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:01 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Battery Terminals are good (clean), battery ground is solid (to the frame), XM is powered to the radio 15amp fuse. I have paid more attention to the problem which seems to be coming from the high beams. When I turn them on the tach immediately drops about 500rpm's or quits all together. I am starting to suspect the alternator. What do you guys think?

If it is the alt. then do I need a higher output one? 120 or 200 amp? or is the stock one sufficient?
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:20 PM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

Check the high beam circuit for a short or dodgy earth connection there has to be a short or similar to cause that sort of problem
Old January 6th, 2006, 06:32 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I had another thought. Could my Hella H4 headlights be the problem? Could they be drawing too much juice?
Old January 7th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Which bulbs do you have in them? Very strong possibility, as the headlight system draws all the power from the switch. It's highly recommended that you use relays and run the power for the headlights back to an independant source, especially if you upped the wattage at all, or you risk melting the entire headlight switch over time.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
electrical