Help with Defender 90 Blinkers and brake lights - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 15th, 2017, 03:19 PM
ViperJames
James Forte
1991 Defender 90

Help with Defender 90 Blinkers and brake lights

Hello I am trying to diagnose my 1991 Defender 90 electrical issues..i just bought the car and seller only had car a short while so had no idea of the issues... There was definitely aftermarket stuff added to car like winch on front, roll bar with lights rear trailer connection, etc. Looks like some stuff i just "unplugged" trying to follow a wiring diagram to me is not simple if i could see actual photos of wiring that is CORRECT it would be helpful but perhaps someone can tell me by looking at what i have here in the dash area if it just looks like things are not connected or if i have a major issue. Thanks! James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	244674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	244682  

Name:	IMG_1487.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	244690  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2017, 03:20 PM
ViperJames
James Forte
1991 Defender 90

Also The rear wiring i can take photos in a couple hours to post looks like MAYBE some things got disconnected but again i am not positive. I have always done most of my restoration work but electrical has not been my strong suit, however it seems like a Defender would be very easy to learn on so i am actually happy to have the experience with this. Thanks
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Most of that disconnected stuff is not original wiring. You will need to follow the schematic and understand electrics to figure it out.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2017, 03:24 PM
ViperJames
James Forte
1991 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Most of that disconnected stuff is not original wiring. You will need to follow the schematic and understand electrics to figure it out.
Thank you. i have a detailed work manual on its way here, just thought some Actual photos of what it SHOULD look like would be helpful for me understanding. thanks
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The problem is you center dash area is missing all the things that should be there. Most stuff plugged into that area would be there to plug into.... The flasher system parts are in the steering column and the fuse panel. It is pretty simple and standard.

You can download manuals here: pdf Land Rover Manuals | Landroverweb.com

The bigger problem is that the photos show that a previous owner has seriously messed with the electrical and that is never a good thing.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:39 PM
ViperJames
James Forte
1991 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The problem is you center dash area is missing all the things that should be there. Most stuff plugged into that area would be there to plug into.... The flasher system parts are in the steering column and the fuse panel. It is pretty simple and standard.

You can download manuals here: pdf Land Rover Manuals | Landroverweb.com

The bigger problem is that the photos show that a previous owner has seriously messed with the electrical and that is never a good thing.
Really APPRECIATE THE HELP! THANK YOU!
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

on the first picture the wires to the left are factory. The factory put a bunch of wires there to connect other stuff like the radio etc. As mentioned above the other wires look aftermarket. Follow the wiring diagram and you can start to isolate the factory wires. The aftermarket stuff...you just have to trace them to where they go.
Old May 19th, 2017, 08:27 AM
ViperJames
James Forte
1991 Defender 90

Update! Okay so I have made some serious progress...turns out the issue was not so bad, the Right Rear blinker was missing when i bought vehicle and it appears the wires were fried somehow and in turn fried the flasher. I replaced all the lights with LED's and replaced the flasher, all blinkers work except the right rear. Question is how far back do i replace the wire?

Also the reverse/ rear fog lights, have a black/ red wire on the new LED, and the old wire is Blue and Brown...which goes where?

Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1510.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	245778  
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:09 AM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperJames View Post

Also the reverse/ rear fog lights, have a black/ red wire on the new LED, and the old wire is Blue and Brown...which goes where?

Thank you!!
Blue should be your positive/live and brown is your ground.
I don't think it matters how far back you make the splice, so long as the wire is clean to work with. Suggest getting some water-tight shrink tubing (adhesive lined) at the splice to prevent future water intrusion and corrosion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:12 AM
ViperJames
James Forte
1991 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium1330 View Post
Blue should be your positive/live and brown is your ground.
I don't think it matters how far back you make the splice, so long as the wire is clean to work with. Suggest getting some water-tight shrink tubing (adhesive lined) at the splice to prevent future water intrusion and corrosion.
You are the man Chris! THANK YOU!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, brake, defender, defender 90, ht, lights