Help with D90 no start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 21st, 2009, 05:41 PM
jumping jellyfish
Ty
1993 NAS Defender 110 286/500

Help with D90 no start

Help!

Drove my 94 D90 5 blocks today. Everything was cool. Stopped for an hour or so. Went to start her and the starter turns normally but nothing else. No idiot lights, gauges, fuel pump sounds, nothing else. Tried a zillion times to start her with only starter spinning and engaging the flywheel. Only once did the idiot lights light up and even then she didn't start. I did notice a large puddle on the passenger floor that had gotten through the vent while I was out of town last week. ECU? Ignition switch?

Thanks.

Ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumping jellyfish
Help!

Drove my 94 D90 5 blocks today. Everything was cool. Stopped for an hour or so. Went to start her and the starter turns normally but nothing else. No idiot lights, gauges, fuel pump sounds, nothing else. Tried a zillion times to start her with only starter spinning and engaging the flywheel. Only once did the idiot lights light up and even then she didn't start. I did notice a large puddle on the passenger floor that had gotten through the vent while I was out of town last week. ECU? Ignition switch?

Thanks.

Ty
Sounds like the ECU
Old August 21st, 2009, 05:44 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumping jellyfish
Help!

Thanks.

Ty
Ignition coil would be my starting point. Are you getting spark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Hardly ever the ECU. My money -especially if no fuel pump sounds- is on the fuel pump relays. These are a very common problem maker. Buy the genuine silver relays: http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2...l-pump-v8.aspx. These can be found cheaper other places I think, but that's what you need. You'll be extremely hard pressed to find them at the local auto parts store.
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
jumping jellyfish
Ty

Thanks. All good suspects and I'll check them. Would a coil fuel pump relays cause no instrument warning lights (except once) or gauges? That's what's pointing me toward the ignition switch or ECU.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Don-B
Don Brown
1995 D-90

I just had the same problem minus the water you are talking about and I would just order the Bosch Relays they are something you need in the glove box anyway I have now learned to have a extra set . You have to have the BOSCH ones ive tried the others .. One good thing is that your on the D-90 Forum . These guys can help you . Just dont make the mistake of having it towed to the dealership like I did .. Im still trying to replace the parts that were robbed of of mine sitting inside there for 5 days . Anyway good luck and get the relays .
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

Similar experience minus the water. Try the simply tightening and re-crimping the various connection on the coil. I had an occasional problem very similar to yours and worked my way through relays (by the way see the other thread, USE the proper Bosch relay as the generic is a different and wrong circuit function) etc and finally found it was a loose connection that seem to get worse as the engine heat up or jiggled about and was solved in about 10 seconds of work. Sometimes it is the easy things, just not so easy to figure out.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
jumping jellyfish
Ty

It was the ignition switch...fell apart as soon as I touched it. You can bet I'm ordering the relays with the switch! Thanks everyone.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Aha! Glad to hear you figured it out. I was re-reading this thread and thinking you should look there... I had the same thing happen to me last fall.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, start