Help with creaking in TD5. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 7th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Shawn
shawn Orth
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Help with creaking in TD5.

I drove thru the mountains about a month ago. My car at the end of the drive made creaking noises when I turn left and right. I had both a new steering pump and steering box put in my TD5. It help a lot but we drove thru the mountains today and was great. Now agin at the end it makes a creaking noise when I turn sharply left and right. The car was fine for most of the three hour drive. Just when I tun left or right at a stop sign. The funny thing is that the next dy after he truck is cool it go's away. Anyone have ny ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Does it "creak"/grunt in response to simply turning the wheel? The '97 D90's have a grunting when the steering wheel is turned to the left. It is caused by a harmonic vibration (of the PS fluid movement) due to the steering fluid hose lengths. LR had a fix, a long time ago, to change out the hose to those who "whined" about it.

Since it's a new install, you may just have air in the fluid still. Try turning the wheel a full crank to the left & then a full right a few times to possibly purge the air out of the system.
Old June 7th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

It is not a clicking sound sound is it? A sign of a CV going bad is a clicking sound when turning.
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Shawn
shawn Orth
1994 Defender 90

Registry
It is more of a clicking sound. the funny thing is I let it cool off and it has stoped. anyone
Old June 9th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Shawn
shawn Orth
1994 Defender 90

Registry
any rover shops in Nantahala/Sylva/ Bryson City North Carolina or anyone in the area who can help me deifne the problem. thanks
Old June 10th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

If you haven't checked the grease in the front swivel balls than I would do that first. The "one shot" from LR is great stuff. You may just have gear lube in it right now however.
Old June 10th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Shawn
shawn Orth
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Where do I get one shot and can you use one shot for a disco.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
td5