Help with buying a 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 28th, 2010, 06:54 PM
adamdh1
ad
none

Help with buying a 110

I am looking into buying a 85 110 3 door. I have been searching this site and over on expo for tips and have almost made my mind on one that is local vs. importing one. What I am looking for is a simple vehicle that I will maintain for preventive and corrective stuff (other than welding, internal engine, and setting up gears). I don't want something too nice since it will be used for overland type travels. It will however be a secondary vehicle and sometimes used as a daily driver (my other car is a 84 benz turbo diesel which often needs tlc).

Here is what I have in mind:

Pics: http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff251/draaronr/85-blue110-3door-200tdi/

Link to description (second vehicle down): http://roversouteast.com/Current_Vehicles.html

Its at rovers out east and I took it for a test drive. Issues
-It has some rust on the bulkhead just below the window corners but not all the way through yet.
-Some bracing under the hood has been rusted through, the bottom of the drivers door has quite a bit of rust and the back door has a lot of rust but is hanging on for the moment.
-The frame does not appear to have any rust all the way through and has been painted black but has had at least surface rust.
-The rear cross member has patches on both corners but seems solid now.
-Oil dripping from the tcase
-no power steering (could be a plus since it would probably be leaking too)
-The clutch engages at the top of the pedal (I have read that it could be just an adjustment but is probably towards the end of clutch life).

Over all, it has the original paint, drives straight, stops straight, doesn't smoke a lot (just a puff at start up since it had been sitting for a month or two), and really seems to be what I am looking for. 147k on the odometer and a 200tdi has been swapped in. It did pass the NC state safety inspection as well.

What do you guys think? Any comments would be appreciated. It will be my first Rover and I look forward to owning one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2010, 07:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Is it a disco 200tdi that was swapped in or a defender 200tdi that was swapped in? What are your plans for the truck?
Old April 28th, 2010, 08:46 PM
adamdh1
ad
none

I believe he said it was a disco. Is that bad? My plans if I purchased it would first to change all fluids and the clutch. Maybe add power steering later and it would be a work in progress (snorkel, rack, locker, etc...) My plans are to take it on mild off road trails and travel a lot in it on and off road. I know they are not the most quiet or comfortable vehicles but that's okay with me. I'm not against eventually tearing it to the frame and either salvaging the current or getting a new galvanized one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
It looks like a defender 200tdi, the turbo is mounted on the top. Nice looking truck
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:21 PM
evilfij
evilfij

The only issue with a disco 200tdi is that you can't convert to LHD without getting an unobtainium Defender style manifold/turbo set up. I did not see the photobucket link (only the website pics) and that does look like a defender 200tdi.
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:29 PM
adamdh1
ad
none

I may have mixed up what he said about the motor. So the difference between the defender and disco tdi is the turbo is mounted on the top? No worries on the conversion. I like the RHD.
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Yup.

It looks like a nice truck from what I can see and seems like a fair price for one in the US. Looks like there are a couple of questionable spots on the frame but nothing too bad.
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
The seller is a member of this forum

Draaron ( Doc )
Old April 29th, 2010, 08:09 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
This vehicle will suck the life out of your Visa card. Not saying it is a dog or anything, it's just the natural order of Rovers in general. If you're ok with that, go for it. They all need massive amounts of time and attention.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:06 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
This vehicle will suck the life out of your Visa card. Not saying it is a dog or anything, it's just the natural order of Rovers in general.
Amen! New sig, thanks.

To the OP, if you can inspect it yourself, and like the RHD it beats rolling the dice on an unknown import.
Old April 29th, 2010, 07:38 PM
adamdh1
ad
none

I figured that Aaron was a member and it's not that I don't trust him, just wanted some more outside input. I am actually converting from the dark side. I'm sure it is a bad word over here and everything but I have always owned toyotas. I have read many of the posts of pros/cons between the two on other forums but there is just something about the rovers. I know they are not known for their reliability but I haven't heard of anyone being stranded in one. I don't mind putting the blood, sweat and tears into a vehicle. I think it creats a tighter relationship between man and machine.
Old April 30th, 2010, 06:49 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If you wanna live with Liz, you hafta buy her diamonds.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 30th, 2010, 04:03 PM
sparhawk
greg sparhawk
92 110

decisions, decisions....

i just bought an '85 110 from Aaron, after owning 2 discos, 3 rangies and a SIII i'd have to say i'm really happy with this purchase. my new truck definitely has some rough spots and issues that i think could have been made more clear (and probably would have been if i had bothered to ask any questions before buying it ) but all in all, i'm really happy with the truck. i mean really, is there ANY other rig ever created that has such a great sense of accomplishment and nostalgia? the ONLY drawback to driving one......you never want to stop. anyway, good luck with your decision.
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:42 PM
adamdh1
ad
none

Well, I took the plunge this afternoon. I will be picking it up next week. I can't wait.
Old May 1st, 2010, 01:50 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Congratulations. Hope you love it. RHD is a kick.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, buying