Help with a brief non start issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 29th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
Help with a brief non start issue

So I've searched all the threads on this and I understand how I would diagnose the issue if it was happening but it rectified itself. I'm posting to get opinions if it was a fluke or if there is something that requires further research.

After driving on the highway with no issue I pulled over for something and shut the car off. After 5 minutes went to restart the car and the starter was dead. I checked all the connections and everything seemed tight. I opened the fuse panel and listened to the relays. I have three yellow relays and when turning the key, the one all the way to right (closest to pass) would click and you could see a spark in the relay itself. Tried swapping the order of the relays, turned the key and the same thing happened. turn key, relay clicks and sparks, no starter activity at all.

We spent the time digging out a tow strap to pull it and bump start it but because it's a Land Rover, as soon as we had the strap hooked up it started right up. It has not had an issue since and has been started probably 50 times
So my questions:
1. Can someone confirm the 3 yellow relays in a 95 D90 are headlights, brake check, and starter?
2. It was really hot out. could heat have caused something to bind up in the starter motor?
3. Why was the relay sparking if all the connections were tight? Could something in the starter itself has caused this? Or is the spark normal? (it was a big spark, turned the relay into a camera flash)

Everything works fine now so I can't diagnose the issue. I'm hoping to get some opinions on what the issue might be in case the starter itself is on the way out...because I don't want to get stranded in the future. Thanks!
Land Rovers are by far the best looking 4x4 on the back of a flatbed...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions