Defender Source Forum banner

Help with 200tdi ignition switch

9K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  rdavisinva 
#1 ·
Think ignition switch finally went and can not get it to stay running without holding a wire or the key with some sort of pressure. Just trying to get home now but if anyone has one or the best place to get one please let me know.

#3 ·
At the ignition switch is connector with white/black wire(s). This needs power to keep the engine running.

White/red is for power to the starter. White is for everything else (and turns off while starting).

Brown is power in.

#4 ·
John,

Thanks for the info. I don't have a white and black but I assume it's the one that doesn't meet the other description. Getting a ride back for the family now will grab some supplies and head back to the truck in a bit and see . Was just getting clicking from the starter so not sure if now it's beyond patching

#6 ·
That is correct, essentially the switch (puck) just delaminates and causes the issue you saw. However, be prepared to possibly get only ~10k miles out of a replacement....so I'd suggest getting (2) to keep one as a spare, or changing over to push-button start (I can send you how-to instructions) if you never want to deal with the issue again.

#8 ·
Nathan, That would be great didn't even know it was possible to go to push button. Thanks Brandon
Essentially you just use a Carling Off-On-Momentary switch, and wire it up from the spade terminals from the original switch accordingly. Shoot me an email or on me your email address and I'll send over the instructions.

#11 ·
Ignition switch

Ok got some parts in this morning but of course something different on this truck. Was sent the ignition with the white back as that is what should be in a 91 200tdi but this truck had the older black setup in it. Is it possible to wire over to the white setup? I have 2) larger brown wires that went to the big spades one of them was a single brown wire the other was a brown and a brown and red wire going to the same connector than 1) larger gauge white wire 1) white and orange wire 1) white and black and white and red going to the same connector.

Any help would be great

#17 ·
This thread is old and the OP member hasn't been seen since Dec 30, 2018.
I have no idea how to understand how to help you from your post, but can tell you that on the back of the switch, each spade is numbered and each number can be referenced in the wiring diagram portion of the workshop manual.
Hope this will help you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.