help - where is my voltage - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 27th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Tom Morrison
Tom Morrison
94 NAS 90 (300 TDI)

Got over to Keith's this afternoon and we had a look at his rig's battery drain. Turned out it was drawing about 270 mA. By my guess, this could drain a battery in about 2 weeks if the vehichle is not used.

We went through all the fuses on the interior pannel, none was responsible for the significant drain. The one possable culprit I think, is the aftermarket cd player that is wired in such a way that it is able to play without the key being on.

Unfortunately we did not have the time to pull the deck to disconnect it to verify my theory. I think Keith is going follow up on that.

While we were at it, we did the same tests with Keith's meter (low end auto store type). It gave a reading of 170 mA, apretty significant difference. Pretty sure my Fluke is the one to trust though.

Cheers all, Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2003, 09:20 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
My thanks to Tom for checking it out. Don't know for sure it is CD player (can the memory really be pulling this much juice? - hard to think something that small could kill such a big battery in a couple of weeks - surely a digital watch carries just as much memory, and goes for years on a button battery. But as none of the fuses have any affect on the drain hard to see where else the blame can be. may be simpler tyo have a battery isolation switch and just live with the cd/rasdio losing its memory. anyone have any idea how/where to get such a thing?

Nice to hear a 300TDi in my driveway. Before it started up I asked my son 11 year old if he knew whay the vehicle was.
Its a NAS90 he said, proud of himself. started it up. Hey, that's a diesel?!

I have put the charger on 2amp setting and will charge it very few days for a while.
Old November 11th, 2003, 01:04 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
well I have fitted the switch - Joseph Pollak Master Disconnect - from Gregg Distributors here for about 18 bucks US. Very simple job and works a treat - drilled a hole through the battery box (passenger side on my RHD vehicle) and wired it up. Least I can now use the vehcile without having to charge the battery all the time. Remains a mystery where the leak is but least the vehice is fully usable now (apart from needing new drums (on order)) . Kind of desireable to have a battery cut off switch anyway, and the job is so easy we should all do it. I had a fuse box fire once and could only stop melt down by pulling the leads off the battery. a switch solves the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Toddco
Todd Klueger
1995 Defender 90

I have left my GPS on, Radar detector on, the clock that allways runs in the dash, radio memory, and had the alarm on for 3 weeks, while it was parked at an airport and it started right up. I would not give up on the search. You have to have a small short somewhere, something is eating the juice!
Old November 12th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Tom Morrison
Tom Morrison
94 NAS 90 (300 TDI)

I'll stand by my diagnosis of the aftermarket cd player. Alberta gets more than a little colder and for a lot longer than Tennessee, and that takes its toll on car batteries.

We pulled all the fuses and the alternator wires, and saw no change in current. This left the cd player, or a short that was after a 44 ohm ( 12 / 44 = 270 mA resistance and before any of the fuses we pulled.

Depending on the size of battery you have and the type of GPS, detector and alarm system, your claim of 3 weeks sounds reasonable to me as long as it wasn't -20 C.

I know with my deck, there is a wire that is supposed to be connected to the always on circuit, but there is also a wire that is connected to the ignition switched circuit as well.

When we reconnected the ground to the battery with the key off, we could hear the motor in the deck start up and then stop. So the deck was doing more than just keeping memory set. The other circuits that sense and load a cd were powered, and probably the 270mA current sink.

I could be wrong, but I'd bet a beer I'm right...

And being a Scot, I hate losing...

Booze
Old November 13th, 2003, 12:43 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
well the cd is taking some juice for sure, and the clock, but there must be a short too. I just think it is so much work to find it. I suspect it may have something to do with the CDs wiriing and that is where I will look first - all the wires are so crammed in there it aint healthy. getting at all this stuff is a real PINA though.
Old November 13th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Tom Morrison
Tom Morrison
94 NAS 90 (300 TDI)

Hey Keith,

I can't beleive we lost at Culoden to you guys

Actually I was looking at a car audio forum, and came across a couple of related posts. According to them, anything over 25 mA is a "parasitic" draw(that is a bit low in my opinion) and your setup with the head unit always fully powered will drain a battery. I would test it on my unit, but getting at my unit isn't easy either.

I have a GPS that draws between 140mA and 200 mA so it seems very reasonable to me for head unit to draw the same or more.

Anyhow, I was out of out of province the last couple of weeks, but should be available if you guys head out some weekend. By all means drop me a line.

Cheers, Tom

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions