Help! want to get rover on the road tonight! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 17th, 2010, 10:50 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

Help! want to get rover on the road tonight!

Alright, i had a wheel bearing go out on me and i put the new one in the hub and when trying to re-assemble i noticed that part of the old bearing was stuck on. I've heated it up, tried to wedge a screw driver between it and i just can't seem to get it off. any ideas?
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/a...c/a17ad5ca.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2010, 11:28 PM
bstraw
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST

I think you are going to need a press. If you have a cutting torch you can cut it off without harming the hub, but be careful. Additionally, if you get it off be careful putting the new one on, you can damage it if you beat on it.
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:32 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I don't think the inner raceway should be on there that tight, but then again you need new bearings for a reason. If you have a cold chisel, don some safety glasses and give it a firm whack, but not too hard or you might distort the spindle. If that fails get out the cutting wheel and a dremel to finish the fine work. Cut the fucker off.

Then heat the new inner race and drop it on. Maybe even throw the spindle in the freezer for an hour or so to shrink it. Makes the two go together easier.
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2010, 11:50 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

i don't have any fancy cutting tools. so i've been trying to cut it off with a regular metal saw for the past hour. it made the blade dull so off to walmart i go.
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:06 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Buy a dremel with minature cut off wheels and a big cold chisel. Get it cut with the cut off wheels (you will use five or six) and then chisel the last little bit to open it up and then it should slide off. Frankly, you might need a new stub axle (or spindle in US speak). You can try just the cold chisel and try to wedge it behind the bearing, but it will probably be rusted/heat-welded onto the stub axle.
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Byron,

Curious--you recommend a press. How do you use a press to get that off? I love good tips!
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:29 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
My method is to use a drill. start small and go progressively larger until the part has just a little bit of metal holding it together. Then a sharp hit with a hammer and cold chisel will make it go away.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
can't drill the bearing race, they are too hard. maybe if you use a solid carbide drill. Had this happen once, used the grinder method.

Could try it on a press using a bearing splitter but if it is really on there you could break something and that would just not be fun.

FIrst thing I would do is take a look at the seal race, it looks kind of scabious, is it in good enough condition to provide a decent sealing surface? If not, new stub axle is in the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
My method is to use a drill. start small and go progressively larger until the part has just a little bit of metal holding it together. Then a sharp hit with a hammer and cold chisel will make it go away.
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:47 AM
bitz
Jon
NAS D90, 85 D110 CSW, 66 Dormobile

alright tell us the truth...were you trying to heat it up with that zippo in the picture
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:27 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I want to know how he managed to get the hub balanced on the edge of the table like he did. With that sort of talent he should move to Vegas and be a magician.
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:22 PM
texmoto
david summers
99 Discovery II

X2 on the zippo. I was wonder the exact same thing.
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:08 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Couldn't you just put it in a vise (jaws on the race) and then twist the hub to get it to break free?
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:36 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not easy to cut or drill.. that shit is hardened... You can always bring it to the local machine shop. I'm sure they can get it off for ya..
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:45 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

The stub is probably ruined from the looks of whats left of that bearing. You already have it off so just call Will Tillery and he will have a good used stub in the mail the same day.
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:49 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Use a cold chisel (and hammer) behind the back side of the race to wedge it off. Work carefully around the circumference, and be patient. If you get too enthusiastic, you may bugger the spindle.

I blew a wheel bearing on the Maine Turnpike ~1972. Using the method above, I was able to replace the bearing beside the exit ramp. I was packing up my tools when somebody stopped to ask if I needed help.

It's probably easier to do this with the spindle attached to the axle, so you have plenty of mass to work against. I wouldn't want to try it while holding the spindle in a vise.
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:10 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I think everyone is missing the fact that the race is the piece pressed into the hub, the piece we are looking at in the photo is the bearing which is completely destroyed, the rollers are gone.
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
guessing he didn't get back on the road last night....and hasn't posted since

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:58 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Weld a bead around the race protecting the stub, when it is hot the race should expand enough to get it off. Or it's teh angle grinder.
On a regular cup the welding will shrink the cup/race enough after it cools to drop out a stuck cup.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:15 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

All this assumes that the bit behind the cone where the oil seal rides is in good shape. If not, then it needs to be replaced. On my IIA it is a separate piece, but I seem to recall that it is an integral part of the spindle on the RR. If so, then maybe a new spindle is the solution.
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:31 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

After all of this I would expect that there would be new replacement parts in order when you get home. This is normally considered a "get it home" solution. Not always but considering the heat involved, with the bad bearing not the welding, you shoudl seriously consider replacing the "hot" part.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht