Help! want to get rover on the road tonight! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 18th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Really? Did someone tell the inner race it isn't a race? *Way* to undermine the team spirit. All those parts working happily together, then suddenly the inner race gets an identity crisis and starts acting funny. Then one by one the rollers throw in the towel. Of course the cage is like "if they're all leaving I guess there's no point me hanging around either." The outer race is like "did I say something?" Next thing you know, you're on the side of the road heating your stub axle with a zippo lighter. At least they're windproof. Which would be useful around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY View Post
I think everyone is missing the fact that the race is the piece pressed into the hub, the piece we are looking at in the photo is the bearing which is completely destroyed, the rollers are gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2010, 01:16 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

sorry i didn't post. yeah i didn't get it running the other night. i sat outside trying to saw it off for six hours with a hack saw. tried drilling, tried everything i feel like. in the morning yesterday I took it up to a local shop and they cut it off with a torch. the spindle was perfectly fine. and the balancing act, its in a small vice thats out of the view becuase the spindle is blocking it. i wish i was that good. haha. I got the new bearing on and my rover got back on the road last night. I had also put new gearing in and hadn't been able to drive it yet without the bearing off the spindle. I've read that some people didn't think 4.11 gears made a huge difference. they do, especially if you're running 35's and stock gears like me. i can finally easilly keep 65mph on the highway! even hit 70 pretty easily! thanks for all your recommendations. if anyone needs a spindle, i'd be willing to sell one. i ordered one from car cannibal yesterday after I thought I'd never get the race off. now i don't need it
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Any anyone tried the 7" LED's? About the same as name brand kit. A buddy with an H1 said the pattern is terrible, but from what I have read online, they are the next thing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2010, 03:06 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitz View Post
alright tell us the truth...were you trying to heat it up with that zippo in the picture
haha, no no no. i was using the zippo to light the propane torch i was using. that would be funny though
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:31 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

The Zippo might of worked better than the propane. Not enough heat in a propane torch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:47 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

well it's not really a zippo. it's just a regular BIC lighter in a zippo like casing. i don't think it would have worked better. i have a little pyro in me and was lighting some stuff on fire with the propane and it burnt stuff up super quick compared to a lighter.
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:29 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Really? Did someone tell the inner race it isn't a race? *Way* to undermine the team spirit. All those parts working happily together, then suddenly the inner race gets an identity crisis and starts acting funny. Then one by one the rollers throw in the towel. Of course the cage is like "if they're all leaving I guess there's no point me hanging around either." The outer race is like "did I say something?" Next thing you know, you're on the side of the road heating your stub axle with a zippo lighter. At least they're windproof. Which would be useful around here.
I guess I'm a race-ist
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
zing!

OP: glad you got it sorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY View Post
I guess I'm a race-ist

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht