help? voltmeter test icm? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 1st, 2005, 12:28 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

help? voltmeter test icm?

with the key in the ignition and in the on postion can some one with a voltmeter test how many volts are coming out of the plug next to the coil and icm. i have it boxed in red in the picture below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	help.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	3087  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:46 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

somebodys got to have a volttester and about 2 minutes of free time?please
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:52 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I would, but I will get 0 because my 90 is in a broke down position right now. I would measure Jimmy's, but his is broke also, then there's Scotts but I think he is on vacation. Ummm but thinking about it, the wires running to and from that go from the distruibuter and the ECU right? If so it is a pulsed 12 volts IIRC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:52 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

If no one has checked by this evening when I get home from work, I'll give it a shot. Yours doesn't seem to look like mine, maybe if you threw a bucket of gravel, mud, etc. in there it would look more familiar. Damn, that's a clean engine bay! Everything in there looks brand new.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

Mike-i thought to myself the other day-to bad mike hippert is doing the conversion to the 4.0 right now becuase he is always a big help but i know he was in the middle of that and probably wouldnt be able to do any test. i think it would have 12 volt also-there is a 12volt wire going into the coil then from the coil to the icm there is a plug with 12volts going into the icm(this plug is directly above the plug in the red box in the picture above)so the plug in the red box (picture above)is coming out of the icm and going to the distributer. so i would think it would have 12volts coming out of it and mine does not-just would like to make sure before i odered a new icm.anyway thanks again mike! --------------- ROD---if you could test that for me that would be great! the only reason its so clean is becuase i cnt get it running long enough to get it dirty-actually i did a 4.6 conversion and its alot of new parts or cleaned parts and recoated parts.ron thanks in advance for the help!!!!!!! if at all possible could you take a pic of you coil wiring set up -if not dont worry about it
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I'll have to check the manual, but I think that's how the wiring goes. Have you tried measuring to see if it is 12 volts AC, not DC. If the signal comming out is pulsed then it may look AC to a volt meter. And I would check to see the pulse on across the +12 and -12 on the coil. Again this is going from memory and I'll have to check when I get home. (I need to copy the manual and leave it here at work
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Matt- Sent you a PM
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:52 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

OK the manual kinda sucks but,,,,,,,,,,,

It shows power running to the coil then from the coil to the ECU. It has to be 12 volts.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:12 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

matt,

if no one has sent you this, let me know..I can check it tonight, after I get home from work.
mine's a 95 D90. You can send me an email at arbik at hotmail dot com.

-arbi
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:35 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Matt- I only get 1 volt. I don't know if that's how it is supposed to be or not? The vehicle runs fine!
Just to make sure we're looking at the same thing, It looks like there are two wires that run from the plug to the distributor--Yes?

I don't think it makes a difference, but I have an aftermarket ignition kit (Jacobs) on the vehicle. The system takes a signal from the OEM coil, so I don't think anything has been effected.

I think I'll go back out and check the voltage while running, should it change?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:05 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

thanks rod! that swhat i get as well. i geuss it really doesnt matter know-i was told today i dont need the icm with the mallory unilte distributer. arbi thanks for the offer!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions