Help troubleshooting 110 dcpu - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 28th, 2013, 03:01 PM
gomotomoto
adam
None

Help troubleshooting 110 dcpu

This is for my 110 td5

Today, started the truck up and went for a surf. Drove to the beach, on then on the beach for about 2-3 miles to my spot.

When I got back in the truck, started up just fine. Drove about 2 miles on super dense packed sand (for all intent and purpose, like a packed hard gravel road). Trucked started to feel like it was loosing traction and power. Eventually stalled out on me. Would not start back up. Plenty of crank out of the battery.

Let it sit for about 10 minutes and cranked and cranked... Eventually the motor started with a lot of additional time on the key, pumping the starter until it would stay running on its own. Put in gear and would barely roll. Stalled out again. Was in high gear the whole time.

Had to get towed off beach, was not a problem for a Toyota tundra (yes, embarrassing) got it to the street.

Car started up and I was able to gingerly drive it to the service station. Felt like it was going to stall the whole time, but it was able to drive, unlike how it behaved on the sand.

It was almost as if the motor was not getting enough power or fuel. Also I thought it was a slipping belt, but that wouldn't cause any throttle issues (which it had)

I did notice the engine came up to temp quicker than usual as I was freezing and looking for some heat. Usually the engine crawls up to temp slow ly and steady.

Thankfully I had a buddy nearby that wasn't wrapped up with thanksgiving yet. I was near the shoreline, if it was not for him, the tide would have put me in significant trouble. Guess I have more than usual to be grateful for today.

The truck always handled super crappy on the sand. I figured this thing would just kick ass, but it struggles bad on sand. Real bad. Like something not right bad. I'm wondering if it was a coincidence, but it's weird how it caused the same trouble as the last time I was on the beach. I was barely able to get it to ride off the beach last time as it lost 90% power there.

With this scenario, any ideas what problems I have a May need to address?

Thanks all and hope everyone is having a great holiday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2013, 03:04 PM
gomotomoto
adam
None

Here the painful evidence:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	85100  
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Could be a lot of things. Being a TD5, you would want to get a computer plugged into it. Could be as simple as a plugged fuel filter.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2013, 03:43 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Could be a lot of things. Being a TD5, you would want to get a computer plugged into it. Could be as simple as a plugged fuel filter.
Do you garage her? Could be gelling of fuel in the filter/lines. On the beach the cold air could have dropped the temp of the fuel to where it would not flow anymore.

Have you filled the tank recently?
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

The symptoms you're experiencing sound a lot like fuel starvation. I'd start by replacing the fuel filter and go from there. Since you were driving on a rough surface, it's likely that the vibrations agitated whatever sediment had accumulated at the bottom of the tank, and it was drawn into the pickup and rapidly clogged your fuel filter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 28th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Since it was driving good, I'm buying the fuel issue. Check pressure in the line then move on to filter etc. Assume its winter spec diesel not summer.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 28th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station

I think the others have it right, I had a TD5 in Dubai as my daily runner for four years. We did have the fuel filter clog and stall out from fuel starvation. I drove it in incredible heavy sand storm and huge dunes without issue so I don't think its the sand.
Old November 28th, 2013, 08:12 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

We need to find out of the truck is in limp mode or a busted pump.
Old November 28th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
as said sounds like a fuel pressure issue. Possible pump or filter issue. Is your fuel cooler leaking ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 29th, 2013, 08:26 AM
gomotomoto
adam
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by red64chevelle View Post
Do you garage her? Could be gelling of fuel in the filter/lines. On the beach the cold air could have dropped the temp of the fuel to where it would not flow anymore.

It's kept outside. Haven't put fuel in since the temp dropped severely two-three weeks ago. Hasn't been a problem on other cold days though. I'm in south jersey now (near atlantic city) and I think I bought fuel about 45 days ago when it was mild & we were still in t-shirts.

This is my first diesel and I wasn't aware that the fuel was treated seasonally. But now that you mention it & the fact that diesel might have characteristics similar to cooking oils, I see how it's possible it may have coagulated. I like that theory, but it's been witch tit cold for the past two weeks and I drive the truck everyday (super short distance, thus the lack of alot of fuel consumption) and this was the first incident that might have pointed to signs of fuel thickening.

------ Follow up post added November 29th, 2013 08:28 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by red64chevelle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Since it was driving good, I'm buying the fuel issue. Check pressure in the line then move on to filter etc. Assume its winter spec diesel not summer.
what are the seasonal specs? I should probably learn about about that.

------ Follow up post added November 29th, 2013 08:29 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
We need to find out of the truck is in limp mode or a busted pump.
Guess I'll need a computer to sort that out?

------ Follow up post added November 29th, 2013 08:30 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
as said sounds like a fuel pressure issue. Possible pump or filter issue. Is your fuel cooler leaking ?
not sure where the fuel cooler is located. I looked up the part & I see what it looks like, but not sure where it is located. Can you give me a heads up on where that is?
Old November 29th, 2013, 08:46 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Like other good advice from posts in this thread, sounds like fuel pressure or flow.
This is an easy diagnosis as the flow and pressure are not too difficult to check.

The other aspects are not so easy as pointed out here...
To further diagnose adequately you need the properly equipped laptop with the TD5 software.
Am talking to 2 people currently who are getting fed up with the TD5 because they are ill equipped to deal with engine problems and so are the shops they take them to.
The TD5 is great when it runs and the complete opposite when it does not and the fix involves wiring and ECU.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:18 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
is the td5 original to the truck? didnt td5's have issues with the injector harness early on? when our equipment starts running shitty its generally water or a bad fuel filter.
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
The injector harness issue was mostly related to oil that leached thru the harness into the red connector on the ECU. If you take off the connector and have oil, you will need to replace the injector wiring harness which is about 1.5hrs under a shade tree plus the part. Even a leaky one doesn't seem to affect the engine running unless it leaks enough to fry the ECU which doesn't sound like the issue.

Sounds like fuel delivery and possibly limp mode.

Check the fuel filter, cooler, and add some anti gel to the tank. Could be the fuel pump, but they are typically an all or nothing proposition.

As for limp mode, I would suggest getting a Nanocom.
https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/

About $550 with shipping. Tough to have a TD5 in North America without one.

In the short term, you may want to download the TD5 workshop manual so you can at least identify the parts and start the search for an answer.
http://www.xtremelandy.co.uk/Manuals...nd_2002_MY.pdf

just my $0.02
Old November 29th, 2013, 12:11 PM
jabber
m j

Check the red plug to the ecu under the seat. Could cause some of the issues which you speak of. Also the fuel pressure regulator on the RH side of the back of the engine. You'll notice a few black rubber fuel lines attached to it. Sometimes those leak or the seal breaks down. If you don't get 4psi (I believe) it'll run like crap.

Is your fuel pump making more noise than usual? If it's starting to go, again, you won't get the correct pressure.

As crazy as it sounds... Check ALL of your grounds. If you have a questionable ground it will also run like crap.

What year is the TD5? Earlier 10P or later 15P? Number is on the LH side of the engine above the exhaust manifold.

The TD5 is a fantastic diesel, and is highly misunderstood. Sure when it's not running well it's extremely frustrating; ANY engine/truck can be that, even a 200/300tdi. But take your time and get yourself a Nanocom Evolution. Money WELL spent.

Feel free to PM me your email or number. I'd be happy to chat about it.
Old November 29th, 2013, 05:36 PM
gomotomoto
adam
None

problem is sorted. My buddy Ben told me to check the relays and sure enough that's what it was. I pulled them all off and one was pretty dirty. Cleaned it up with a little marine electrical lube and truck fired right back up with all it's power.

Drove it for a few more miles and started to act up again, swapped the relays again and problem vanished. Guess one of my relays is started to die off. I'll have to order up a few new ones and a few spares as well.

Thanks all for trying to assist. Pretty nice to have the support of the forum members. tjfslaughter even offered to drive down to check it out. Amazing. Thanks man, sorry for driving you nuts today.

Also, drove the beach today again in high gear with the dif lock on. Huge difference as it handled so much better.

I guess now there's no urgency, I'm going to order up the relays, a fuel pump & some fuel and oil filters to have at hand.

Thanks again all.
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Glad to hear you are back on the road (or beach).
Which relay? Just curious.
Old November 30th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Glad to hear it's not sitting any more like a beached whale.
Check the block connectors for corrosion. Only clear with battery disconnected.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags