Help/Tips AAA Towing - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 6th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Not sure if it has been mentioned but you can also extend the tow range if you upgrade your account.
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2014, 08:57 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

You may be able to add towing to your insurance policy as well.
Old September 6th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
FYI AAA doesn't cover for out of diesel. If you run out of diesel and call AAA, they will charge the commercial big rig rate to bring it to you, and it includes the service to bleed your fuel system, but prepared to pay a kidney.

A month ago I let myself run out like an idiot and called on it exploring options to get a couple gallons to make it to the fuel station 2 miles down the road. Better to have a flatbed tow to the fuel station then get diesel. The tow to a fuel station is covered.

Friend in the area ended up answering my call and ran me out to the station and back with my jerry. Also the reason why I always carry an empty jerry.
That sounds like a pretty good reason to carry a full jerry. If you already have the space allotted for a can it might as well have some fuel in it to help you out in a jam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
That sounds like a pretty good reason to carry a full jerry. If you already have the space allotted for a can it might as well have some fuel in it to help you out in a jam.
exactly. I have a 2 can carrier on my roof rack, and that is my new SOP is to keep one full can up there at all times. I keep swearing to do that after I run myself out of fuel and fail to do it. it takes discipline. But you have to make sure to keep the can full, not half full, to minimize the air in it, and rotate that fuel out to every few months. This prevents water from condensation and algae growth in the fuel. last thing you need when you really need a can is 5 gallons of contaminated fuel undiluted in your tank to get going again.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 6th, 2014, 12:22 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
FYI AAA doesn't cover for out of diesel. If you run out of diesel and call AAA, they will charge the commercial big rig rate to bring it to you, and it includes the service to bleed your fuel system, but prepared to pay a kidney.

A month ago I let myself run out like an idiot and called on it exploring options to get a couple gallons to make it to the fuel station 2 miles down the road. Better to have a flatbed tow to the fuel station then get diesel. The tow to a fuel station is covered.

Friend in the area ended up answering my call and ran me out to the station and back with my jerry. Also the reason why I always carry an empty jerry.
Good to know, about 3 or 4 years ago, they would bring you diesel. 2 gallons. Which by the way, isn't enough to bleed the lines in a 24v Cummins

A few weeks ago, while attempting to set a land speed record coming back from Wilmington I actually ran out of diesel in my Powerstroke, but I just dropped the truck I was hauling off the trailer and drove to the gas station. I felt like I was in a commercial for ED medicine...
Old September 6th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Ha! Ive considered keeping a smart car or cv4 in the back as a tender/lifeboat.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:13 AM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Guys, so sorry for the delayed response. I can't thank you enough for the kind offerings.
I ended up borrowing a buddy's flatbed trailer and driving up to get her home. My daily driver Nissan Xterra had some electrical issues that were easy to address back home. Coil packs, air sensor, other little things.

Anyways, I seriously thank all who expressed concern and reached out to help, including PMs. This club/forum is awesome. I promise to pay It forward and offer others help when I find the opportunity.

-Steve

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wing