Defender Source Forum banner

Help.. Tdi Suddenly running really rough

Tags
tdi
5K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  John_Karlsson 
#1 ·
Was driving on the highway at about 50mph when the truck suddenly lost power and started running on 3 cylinders or so it appears. No strange noises or anything. At Idle, its realy rough and appears to be running only on 3 cylinders. ITs also smoking a lot even at Idle.

Any Ideas?

#27 ·
Yup... Was an intake valve. IT was not making any strange noises at all... Just running rough. Sounded fine other then that.

My father will be happy when we get the part today.

THe valve seems to be fine and not sticking. I am guessing faulty land rover parts...

#28 ·
Ok.... What the Fu&*.. IT just happened again but on a different rocker now. How the hell would that happen? Any Ideas? I am lost for words right now. Just froze my ass off on the side of the road for the last 2 hours.. This Sux...

#29 ·
Randy.....are you running OEM on the valves/rockers, etc, or did you replace with some aftermarket stuff. Likely you are OEM. Don't need to tell the vibration from the diesel can exploit even the smallest weaknesses over time.

Sorry for your troubles.....really a PITA. Did you get it fixed??

#30 ·
I just spoke with RN who stated the same thing.. THey said they had a problem with a rebuilt 300tdi they sold and it used non OEM adjusters and they were breaking. I just ordered a bunch to replace them. The ones that broke do have a slight different crown then the OEM one I replaced last month so we will see... I never would have thought that...

#31 ·
Ok... Just replaced the broken adjuster again and replaced 2 more with new ones just incase. RN only had 3 in stock. I now have 4 new ones and 4 old ones in there. I have the other 4 on order to replace as well.
After replacing them, It runs like a top again. I spoke with M&D who built the motor and they said they never had a problem like this. But he is also sending me a new set of adjusters as well. Everyone seems to think they are a faulty batch of adjusters..

#32 ·
nice picture wow.. I am looking at the injecotrs now after this tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.