Help! Stuck at DD, 200tdi won't start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 22nd, 2013, 12:35 PM
Sandt
Sandt Michener
1984 Ninety

Registry
Help! Stuck at DD, 200tdi won't start

Went to turn the key and nothing. Then arcing sounds from behind the speedo and smoke. Took the panel off and saw the the heater cable wore thru and was making contact with the ignition switch wires. Is there a fuse somewhere? I looked in the centre.fuse box but none are labelled starter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2013, 12:57 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I don't think so. You probably fried a wire. It is just a straight wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:06 PM
Sandt
Sandt Michener
1984 Ninety

Registry
Yes, I think you're right, fried wire. Had to get it towed. Fun fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:29 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I'm guessing a manual transmission. If so, have you tried to push start it? If you can my money is on a failed starter solenoid. If not it is probably the ignition switch.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:14 PM
Sandt
Sandt Michener
1984 Ninety

Registry
After getting into it I found the heater cable was rubbing on the ignition switch and finally wore through causing a short which must have fried a wire.
People were still saying what a cool vehicle it was despite it being loaded up on a flat-bed!
Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:53 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Good time to learn to jump start your own vehicle! With a few feet of wire and a connector or two you could have had that thing started and running in about 5 minutes and saved yourself the tow.

Fuel shut off solenoid power

and

Jump the starter solenoid right at the starter
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
Good time to learn to jump start your own vehicle! With a few feet of wire and a connector or two you could have had that thing started and running in about 5 minutes and saved yourself the tow.

Fuel shut off solenoid power

and

Jump the starter solenoid right at the starter
Maybe. But if he shorted one of the feeds to the ignition switch, you would need to find and disconnect that wire to avoid further damage. It is all straight unprotected wiring.

There is no need to jump start. A light push and they will run as long as you have some voltage for the fuel solenoid.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:59 PM
Sandt
Sandt Michener
1984 Ninety

Registry
I was going to push start it but not really knowing if having the ignition on could start a fire I decided to play it safe. The snapping arcing and smoke pouring out behind the speedo got to me. I wasn't out in the bush and I had my dog shivering in the back! I will get some wire and a wiring diagram in my tool kit for the next time though....
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:22 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandt View Post
I was going to push start it but not really knowing if having the ignition on could start a fire I decided to play it safe. The snapping arcing and smoke pouring out behind the speedo got to me. I wasn't out in the bush and I had my dog shivering in the back! I will get some wire and a wiring diagram in my tool kit for the next time though....
Get some 1/4" fuel line and slit it with a razor blade length wise and slide it over the shorting heater cable and fasten it with zip ties around the cable.

Then disconnect the white with red wire from the IG SW. Disconnect the white with red wire from the small connection on the starter as well. Pull the hand brake and put the vehicle in NEUTRAL. Make sure it is in NEUTRAL, then check again. Turn the IG on. Take a smallish wire with both ends stripped and touch one end to the big lead on the starter where the battery cable connects and touch the other end to the small spade that you took the white with red wire off. Does the engine spin? If yes you are half way there.

Go under the dash and take a razor blade and extract the white with red wire from the harness by slitting the wrapping and pulling the wire out. Chances are if it fried it melted across other wires and is causing connections among disparate circuits and has to be extracted to remove shorts. Once removed, run a new wire from the starter SW lead on the IG SW to the small starter spade.

Presto problem fixed.

Hope this helps

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:03 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandt View Post
you did the right thing. Molten plastic burns well. Your entire rig was @ risk. Once a fire gets going burning the plastic insulation it moves faster than you could dissasemble things with a screw driver to get in there with an extiguisher. Ask me how I know.....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

i did forget to say that based on the conditions I would leave the ignition switch off to start and drive it. Electrical power to the fuel solenoid only.

This would have gotten you home without incident but it would have been without headlights/brakelights/instrument panel.

Just food for future thought. In a pinch this is what I would have done, not that you would have to do the same.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:20 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
This would have gotten you home without incident but it would have been without headlights/brakelights/instrument panel.
Yes, because driving without indicators and brake lights is a smart, safe, legal idea.

Old March 23rd, 2013, 01:39 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Ever been to Boston? Wouldnt make much difference really.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 03:35 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Steering column lock???

Quote:
i did forget to say that based on the conditions I would leave the ignition switch off to start and drive it. Electrical power to the fuel solenoid only.

Just food for future thought. In a pinch this is what I would have done, not that you would have to do the same.
Would the steering column lock at the first turn of the wheel?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 23rd, 2013, 04:31 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Would the steering column lock at the first turn of the wheel?
Yep.

Towing was the smart move.

Had the steering lock fall into place while I was driving once... exciting

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, start, tdi